His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Monday, May 16, 2011

CHANGES OVER TIME

Mike and I were talking to the girls about how things were so very different when we were kids.  We are not THAT OLD, but MUCH has changed since we were children.

When we were children, everything closed down on the weekends by Saturday at 6:00, and didn't open again until Monday a.m.  ALL stores and Malls were closed!
When I was a teenager, things started to loosen up and Stores started staying open until 9:00 on Saturdays, and then began to open at noon on Sundays.  This was scandalous! :)
There were never kids soccer games (soccer didn't exist) never BASEBALL games on Sundays; only on Saturday mornings. 
The Church Bells of the local Catholic Church rang Loudly for all to hear, and when we got into our car to travel to our own church, I admired seeing whole families WALK to the local Catholic church, women and girls with lace head coverings. 

Girls were required to wear dresses in school, until I was in High School.   It was unheard of for a girl to wear pants to school. 
Boys had to have their hair cut over their ears.
A box lunch was 25 cents.  The cafeteria lunch was 35 cents and ice cream cost 5 cents.

I remember the first time I had a McDonald's Hamburger .... it was .15 cents.
My parents used to send me to the local gas station to get a gallon of gas for the lawn mower.
I remember paying 32 cents for a gallon.

When we were kids we would go outside and play and be gone for hours, riding our bikes all over the place. I used to ride my bike to the library, the store, the park... When I was a teenager,  I used to clean house in the a.m. and take the bus to the beach, with my little brother where we really felt rather safe.

I remember where we lived jobs were very hard to get. Unions were heavily involved in the grocery stores and my sister had to join a union to sack groceries.   It took her forever to get a job just doing something like that.  I felt VERY fortunate to get a job at Burger King. There was much competition.
People could work one job on one salary and actually live. 
At the grocery store, the cash register was full of keys and each amount had to be entered individually. Each item had to have a price tag on it. If there was no price tag, then they had to call for a price check.  It took a long time to check out.  I distinctly remember my mom FILLING a HUGE cart to over flowing, and the average cost was around 27-30 dollars.  That same cart today would be in the 175-200 dollar range.

When I got married, but purchased our first car for 2, 500 dollars. Brand new!  Gas was in the 80 cent range and it was scandalous when it went over a dollar a gallon. :) I could fill my tank up for around 9 dollars.  Most of the time, I only had 5 dollars to put in.  Today, that might get us down the street and back. LOL

The news we had came from "The Daily Breeze" which was delivered by kids with paper routes that would collect money and get tips.  So the current events of the world, were very limited.
My dad would always watch the 6 o clock news and I would watch it with him.  During the Viet Nam War, they would have a still picture of a map of Viet Nam, and there would be stars marking where battles were being fought.  There was also a voice from a short wave radio that would report.
By today's standards, that is stone age technology~! LOL

There were no computers... and the word Google had to do with a guy named Barney in the comics.
There were no graphic images of war. There were no world wide threats to our sovereignty.
There were awful things that happened. JFK and Bobby Kennedy, assassinated. I remember both, but it was a different time.
Even though things happened, it wasn't on the level it is today. 
Makes me sorta sad for the world we are leaving our children. 
Some things are better.... but much is not.



 

3 comments:

Hevel said...

My kids find it fascinating when my grandma tells them about their life in Hungary in the 50's,, how a loaf of bread was HUF 2.40, ice cream was HUF 0.40, petrol this much, shows that much, books HUF .50 and up, where they are now bread at the kosher bakery is HUF 330, ice cream is around HUF 200, books start at HUF 700.... They are all amazed till I ask grandma exactly how much their family income was and she proudly says that between grandpa and her they made HUF 1200 per month. When we left the country, Kevin and I made HUF 320 000 per month.

She gets nostalgic for her youth, and how things were different. All the laws against the Jews, the Holocaust, the ongoing Arab-Israeli conflict seem unimportant compared to the JYO dances. :)

MariaG said...

Yup, I remember my parents rushing to the bank before it closed (early) on Friday afternoon to get money out for the weekend. No bank machines then. Stores were only open till 9pm Thursday & Friday nights.So many of the normal techno things of today were unheard of growing up. Can you imagine ... No cell phones? No texting? No home computer? Rabbit ears? Rotary dial telephone?

Now I'm old enough to be able to talk about "the good old days". LOL. 'Wonder what will be new 30 years from now that will make the present seem like "good old days"?

Maria (Canada)

MariaG said...

Ah yes ... and the freedom we had to roam. I remember being 7 or 8 (definitely not older) and riding my bike all over and out of the neighbourhood trying to get lost (never worked ... good sense of direction). I also remember walking by myself to school and sometimes by myself to church ... good 30 min walks (at least) across busy roads. I went all over the place by myself.

I remember taking the bus to downtown by myself the summer after grade four. I rode the bus all over town that afternoon and it was so memorable because the route I took was into the poorer part of the city ... a real different scene than suburbia where we lived. Geesh ... didn't my mom realize I was gone for hours? I suppose it was the norm. As kid's we'd play outside for hours ... not in view of parents, and as long as we were home in time for supper, all was well. Sure was a different time back then!
Maria (Canada)

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin