His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Stories and Truth

Today, I shared a story with the girls.  It was just a made up one off the top of my head to prove a point.
My story went something like this:

There was a little girl named "Rumplestilskin".  (I know, not too creative)   She lived in a small village and loved to go for walks.  The problem is, she was 4' 10" and had one foot that was a size 8 and the other a size 12.  She always had to buy 2 pairs of shoes just so they would fit!

When she walked through town you could hear "clomp CLOMP", "clomp CLOMP".....

She walked out of town and found a beautiful mulberry tree. The Mulberries were freshly ripe and she was excited to see them! You see! She had been told that if you eat freshly ripened mulberries,  something magical can happen!

She ate the berries and began to feel a tingling from the top of her head to the bottom of her feet!  And then, her feet started to tingle!  She closed her eyes in great excitement!

When she opened them, there were 2 beautiful size 12 feet!
So, when she walked in town from then on.... you could only hear, "CLOMP CLOMP!" "CLOMP CLOMP!"

The End.....

Now, after my story was complete, I asked each of my girls to retell my story and everybody else would listen.

Each girl retold the story, and guess what?   Even though each one told the truth, and each one came up with the same story, not one of the stories was exactly as I told it!  Not one!

She did have the right name, though pronounced a little differently.  She did wind up being 4'10" with 2 different sized feet, and she did eat berries, but not everybody told it the same.  Some had 1 berry and others said just mulberries.

Everybody said something happened, but not in the same way, and each person said her feet were the same size in the end.

The point I was trying to get across to my girls is that we all share things and we want them to be told as accurate as possible, but even if we are careful, we won't get everything perfectly.  Intent of the heart to be truthful is what matters.

Even in Scripture, if you look into the gospels, the stories in each one may be told slightly different according to what each Gospel writer remembered.  Just because the accounts are slighly varied, that does not make the scripture untrue!  The Dead were Raised! The 5,000 were still fed!  The lame still walked! The blind were given sight!  Christ came and died, and was buried and He resurrected on the 3rd day!

There is harmony in the Gospels! There is harmony in Scripture!

We can have that harmony in our home when we need to recall something and each person is asked to remember what happened!  Each story will have a slightly different perspective, but they will all be true.

(unlike the story I told to make the point) :)



1 comment:

MamaV said...

Poor Rumpelstiltskin. CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP. Lol.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin