His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Disrespect Is Not To Be Tolerated

 I was asked this question:
Just curious, in your post you mention "disrespect" is never tolerated in the house to you or the girls... when someone gets disrespectful what exactly do you do?DS is starting to yell over everything and really mean at me but not because of me over other things but takes it out at me..

When I say "Disrespect" is never tolerated.... I do not mean it doesn't ever happen. I mean it is always addressed each and every time. (toleration would be to not address and just let it go unchecked)

Sometimes our kids don't KNOW they are being disrespectful...sometimes voice intonations SOUND disrespectful when that is not the INTENT. I would always err on the side of grace and mercy in this respect.
"I'm sure you are not intending to sound disrespectful....  But this is how your are sounding."
And explain what the words mean, and how it is not ok to speak in certain tones to parents or others.
Also, I need to make sure that I am not in a habit of speaking in an unkind manner, or bossy manner or
in a way that would stir up unsettling feelings in my child.  If I do, I need to be an example and apologize.

So, what we do is, first establish, that it is ok or normal to be upset if something is wrong.....and then we work on more respectful ways to address an issue.
Let's say for instance, last night, the girls were cleaning their room. 4 of them at the same time cleaning up caused some confusion on what belonged to who. :)
Instead of saying, "I think that might be mine.."  It was "that's MINE, give it to me!"  That is no way to solve a problem, even if it is yours. 
So we stopped and worked on a proper way to respond when somebody may have one of our things.
1. ALWAYS ASSUME THE BEST
2. ALWAYS BE RESPECTFUL
3. HOW WOULD YOU TALK TO YOUR VERY BEST FRIEND? IF it is any different than how you would talk to your sister, you are not treating your sister right. :)
(that is our litmus test actually) :)

If anger were directed at me because of something else, I'd head straight for the rocker..... get him calm, and then , together come up with ways he can tell you what is wrong without yelling at you.  Each and every time, take him to the rocker and let him know after he is breathing with you, it is not ok to yell at mommy...never, ever.... "I love you and I'm here for you...tell me what is going on in your quiet voice...."
"I will help you" etc.
Do not let one time pass, without instruction.  INSTRUCTION IN LIFE  IS DISCIPLINE..... Teaching life lessons so that one can learn the right path is DISCIPLINE........... We MUST discipline  our children.   If you have to drop everything several times.... then do it.  In the LONG run, it will pay off big time. Because new habits will be established and our children learn to discipline themselves!..... If you do miss opportunities to instruct in life, it won't be as effective, and can even cause confusion.  This includes when you are out somewhere....   This does not mean you do the exact same thing each time.... in HOW you teach or instruct... as those with RAD kids know, they will figure that out very quickly.... They will figure out quickly, that you are not at home and therefore cannot rock. :) Instead, the consistency should be in addressing the problem, but going about it differently according to location and circumstance.
Role play, breathing,  rocking, tools, discussion and even going to the car to breathe....... (different ways of discipling) are your tools that consistently move towards that goal of regulation.

Give him some tools to use. If you have not given him a tool box, give him one. (It is imaginary) Give yourself one too so he doesn't feel singled out. :)  Give his brother one too. LOL
And dad too!

"I need a tool box to help me, and I think you do too!"  "What does yours look like? Mine is red!"
I'm opening mine and I'm going to put in gentleness, would you like gentleness in yours?"  and make a game of it. Explain what EACH tool is and exactly how it is used and what it is for. And then, when it happens that he is out of control.... quickly say, Time to get to the tool box open! And take him to the rocker.  Get him to breathe with you and calm himself... and then, ask him what tool he can use to make things better. The kindness tool? The quiet voice tool?
DO NOT ALLOW him to say, "BUT HE DID .....etc."
I always tell my girls..... and my boys.... "I will deal with him, with HIM, or Her, with HER.... and YOU, with YOU..... you will not know what I say to your brother or sister, but you MUST know, I will do what is best EVERY time for each of you! You have to trust me.
You are safe."
Once you get this routine established, it will become easier to get your own tools out, and to help them get theirs out..... If you are both dysregulated, you can even break the ice by asking your son, "Uh Oh, I think mommy needs her tool box opened! "What tool should I get out?"  This DIFFUSES, and then, you can ask, "What tool do you need to get out!"  And all of the sudden, you have a calm child working with you.
This REALLY does work, and it worked on our most difficult situations. I only wish I had thought of it when our boys were little. :)  It would have been very handy with 2 of them. :)

I hope this clarifies. :)

4 comments:

Lydia Price said...

I love this post!
I need it for my kids who are not treating each other with respect. I've been praying about it and we've been working on it.
I hope to see you at the book fair. I am debating on whether to leave our 2 yr. old (with us for 7 months) at home with dad and worry about her missing me (and me her) or bring her with me and deal with her while trying to make decisions. What do you think?
Lydia Price

newmom2 said...

Yes it does... I or we do some of this but I think i will have to go to the tool box approach. He seems to forget what we have talked about SO I may not be doing the same approach to get him to understand/ discipline to understand this. So lack of consistency on my end along with using it for both. Now to get hubby on board.. going to copy and paste.

I figured as much but as you demonstated with the peanut butter sandwich, sometimes you really need to break into pieces to get what you need to learn and how skipping or missing a step will do.

Mike and Christie said...

I think it might be hard to bring her at 2. Strollers are not allowed. So she would need to be held or walk.

I am not going to be there this year. We really have everything we need.... and I'll just spend money if I go. :)

ManyBlessings said...

I love this idea, but my little guy when told ANYTHING immediately covers his ears and says, "la la la I'm not listening". ANY correction is seen as an immediate threat. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks!
dawn

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin