His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

The Path of Life

52 years ago, to be exact, I took a test in high school that would give me direction for my future. I lived in California at the time and we took these aptitude tests. My scores came back and while I wasn't surprised at my strengths, I WAS surprised at how strong my strengths were and HOW WEAK my weaknesses were. I scored in the 99% for engineering. All those gears and wheels made sense to me. I scored in the 5% for secretarial strengths. YES 5%! I was supposed to be an engineer. Ha!

What am I? Well, I have been the secretary in our small business for years, and I'm sure that Mike would be the second one to tell you, me being the first, that I am not the best fit. But I do try! And I would say, if I took that same test today, I would score higher, just because of all the years of practice. However, I'm not just a secretary. I am a wife, a mother, a grand mother a servant of Christ, a peer Biblical counselor, a "Sanitation Engineer". :)
Some things come easier for us than other things. And the truth is, those early tests, while helpful for deciding a career path, that is all they are really good for. They are suggestions.

A while back when I was in my 30's I watched a very funny skit about little souls getting ready to go into babies being born, (I know silly, but it was a skit) and the head angel was telling the souls what kind of baby they would be. They then told them about the kind of life they would live and most were excited except this one that began to rock back and forth, then suck her thumb and finally hide under the table. It was well done and very funny.

The truth is, God does not reveal to us our personal future and all that life will present. If he did, we would all be hiding under tables sucking our thumbs! However, in His WORD, He promises to never leave us or forsake us. He didn't prevent the children of Israel from being stuck at the Red Sea but He was there WITH THEM, and provided a way of escape right through the middle of the waters. He went with them, and guided and protected them.

I can see how over many years the Lord has been with me through all the twists and turns of this life. I never would have dreamed I'd be where I am now, sitting at this computer on a 100 plus degree day, not caring about the humidity and typing to you, my reader. But here I am.

How did I get this old? How did I go from NOTHING, abandoned with 4 little boys, to married 37 years and 8 children, including 4 girls? How did I go through some of the things we went through together that were tragic, including our son having a stroke causing Cerebral Palsy, our daughter needing her feet amputated, wrongs against us that cannot be mentioned?

BUT GOD!!

He says in Isaiah 43, "Fear Not! For I have redeemed you! I have called you by your name you are mine! When you pass through the waters, I will be with you. And through the waters they shall not over flow, when You pass through the fire you shall not be burned. Neither shall the flame kindle upon you, for I am the Lord your God!"

What a huge encouragement from the Lord. Of couse this is allegorical, but the implication is very real to my life. I'd be that little soul hiding under the table, but God in His wisdom only gives us the next step. And then He gives us His WHOLE WORD! Our thoughts are not his thoughts, and for those who LOVE Him, he truly does work ALL things for our good and for His good will and purpose.

There is much to learn through hardship and trial. It is best to lean on HIM and trust Him through it all. There is an old song by Andre' Crouch called "Through It All". It says, Through it all, I've learned to trust in Jesus, I've learned to trust in God, I've learned to depend upon His Word.


I am so thankful for all of my life. The Lord has been with me, with us, all along the way. I didn't like having cancer, or the surgery that followed, but He was there with me. I didn't like the betrayal, but He was with us all the way. I didn't like the long trials in my first marriage, but He was with me to lead and guide. And He is with us now. I have no idea of the future or what it holds. BUT I DO KNOW the one I can count on for all things. And I'm still a secretary! :)

No comments: