His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Awkward Moment

courtesy of ME.....
I was at a friend's house and we were talking about society and kids and family and things like that.  I said, "There are so many more people with special needs than there used to be.... I see them all the time!" 
I said, "When Tim was little, he was the only child we knew that had special needs."  But now, it seems like there are so many more!  
And my friend sort of had this look like, "Really, there are?"

And then it dawned on me....the only kids with special needs they have seen are ours.
 And so I said,  "Hey! Maybe there are more, because there are more of us! LOL
She started laughing and I did too..... (you would have had to have been  there)

I forget that our world is not typical for the majority of families.  We live a different sort of life. But it is a wonderful, rich and full sort of life. :)

I'm so thankful for my bloggy world friends who walk the same path.   They keep us from being alone, and can share in our moments of humor, trial and triumph. :)


5 comments:

Hevel said...

There is another factor: people with disabilities are out and about nowadays. Only a short time ago they were hidden from plain eyes.

Mike and Christie said...

I think that is true Hevel. I definitely see more adults with disabilities than I ever did before.
But as far as children.... it is still rare.

Chiara Elena said...

The first time I stayed in the UK I was 14 years old. I was shocked with all the people with disabilities I saw around me. One night talking about it to my landlady she pointed out the fact that England was probably a friendlier place to move around for those with some special needs. That is so true. In Italy if you have a kid with disability you are on your own. The municipality gives you a 400 € check monthly and that's it, and you have to be very sick to get it. We don't have special needs school (officially we don't like ghettoes) because we don't invest in special need people. If you have down syndrome you will join a regular class with 28 kids and a teacher, that probably will neglect you. And of course you absolutely can not home school. If you have physical disabilities our schools, public transport, places in general are a dead trap, since our old towns have irregular pavements and buildings can't be replaced or at least fixed because most of them are world heritage or we "don't have the money for that". It is very sad and difficult, since you don't get ANY help. You can only count on yourself.

Hevel said...

Based on one of my friends' thesis it appears that the number of children with disabilities is slightly increasing from the standard 3%, because more and more preemies and other newborns and children with issues survive. So those preemies who would have died just ten years ago live, and they have a much higher occurance of disabilities than full term babies.

Annie said...

I have noticed the same thing about adopted children, too. I think everything that people noted above is true, but I also think that we see things (and people ) selectively and also, people with like needs and interests sort of "happen" together....maybe via a comment you wouldn't otherwise have followed up on, etc.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin