His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Journaling

Believe it or not, I am terrible about keeping a written journal.  Blogging is MUCH easier. :)
Before I blogged though, I used a journal when our adoption of Anna commenced.  I needed to take notes, to find out what made her tick, to write down what we did wrong each day as well as what we did right. 
I wrote about all the cute things she did, as well as her naughtiness. :)   Those journals proved to be one of the most valuable tools I had.  Not because I am such a great writer, but because I was able to go back and read and process our PROGRESS.   When I was discouraged, I would go back and read and realize how far we had come.
I filled up more than one journal with Annaism's  and then when Sarah came I started one for her too.
The same thing happened when Erika came home.  
Then, I started blogging. :)

I am working on a project and went back to some old journals to look through them.  I was really surprised about what I had forgotten, both good and bad!  And OH I am SO GLAD I wrote those things down.
Some of the information from those blogs I have re written in memory on different posts on this blog.

I would like to encourage ANYBODY who is adopting or has newly adopted, even though you might have a blog, to keep a private journal also.  Write in it just before you go to bed and if something happens and you get a chance to jot down your feelings DO IT....
It will be a VALUABLE source of information for you to refer back to.
Write down your flaws, your shortcomings, your prayers, and write down your child's behaviors and their reactions too.  I PROMISE, if you have an open heart, a pattern will emerge and it will provide an emotional map for you to study. :) 
Then, you can navigate your way to success!  Keep blogging too! :)

2 comments:

Holly said...

Hmm, have to admit that I have pretty much given up on actual journaling since I started blogging. Oops. :O

But, I think, if I ever had to stop writing my blog for any reason, I'd use one of those services to publish it into a book and print it off anyway.

mommajeane said...

I do blog and journal...If it were not for my journals ( that go back 26 yrs now since our first adoption of Abraham who is now 28)to go back to for encouragement and because I share the scriptures the Lord gave me to encourage me to adopt in them...We would not have made it.I can go back and reread and I can't deny them and it helps to level my emotiions and feelings out. Even our kids journal..that is part of their school. I so agree with you.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin