His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Friday, May 1, 2009

Studying Rocks

Part of our science lesson this week was studying different kinds of rocks.
I love the girlies science book. Abeka does a great job with explaining science to kids. It isn't too hard, and it isn't too easy.
There are also loads of neat pictures.

Did you know the "White Cliffs of Dover" are made out of layers of Chalk?

Our lesson was fun. We were able to hold some different kinds of rocks and try to identify them. We discovered our own chalkboard is not real slate.
(Our old one was true slate and WONDERFUL)
I had some VERY OLD Sand Dollars too, just so they could see how things form with pressure..... note VERY OLD...... with words of Be Careful when you handle them.

So, here are some pictures of the kids looking at rocks....


This is Sarah after she "carefully broke" one of the sand dollars... oh well. :)





On a side note, it really made me feel old when Sarah referred to "metamorphic rock" as "metamucil rock".

"Sorry mom"....

And then, when I said, "Don't be silly sticking out your tongue,

it wastes film." To which they said, "What is film?" I explained it and Erika kindly said, "Well, maybe not film but it certainly will waste batteries!" Thanks Erika. You are a dear. :)

2 comments:

JJ said...

CM, ya'll should stop by some time (soon) We have lots o' rocks at our house!!! Most we found in CO and WY...and a rock set we bought that has labels in the bags.

I even have rocks I found shaped like states, lol! I LOVE rocks!!!! They ROCK!

Mike and Christie said...

We'll have to come and see them. :)

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin