His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Monday, February 20, 2012

Kung Fu Panda 2 Movie Review


Last year when we went to camp, we were presented with Despicable Me. I blogged about the reasons I didn't like the movie here.

This year, we watched Kung Fu Panda 2.  We watched part one and thoroughly enjoyed it. Adoption was mentioned slightly in the first one, but in the second one, it was nearly the main theme through out the movie.
We LOVED It!

At first, I was a little wary, as the "you're not my real dad" thing came up. The difficulty of the father to talk to his son about how he came to be his son was apparent.  But did they ever do a good job for a silly kid comedy cartoon, of turning the message around!  It also covered PTSD, moments, as the Panda has flash back memories and loses his ability to focus.  The friends are concerned for him, but also supportive, trying to understand what is going on.
And in the end, he goes home and tells his dad, "I know who I am now. I am Po, and you are my dad".  It really did have a great message of healing and how there ARE issues to work through.  Adoption and Loss go hand in hand. 

All of our girls stayed for the entire movie.  Several children that go to camp are adopted children.  The little 5 year old girl in front of us told her mommy when the movie was over, "I love you mommy! You are my real mommy!"  :)  It made her mommy have some tears of joy. :)

I watched our Alli carefully too. She was sitting one row up with sisters and friends.
She took the whole movie in and loved it, and in the end, I got a  big hug too. :)

The difference between the two movies was night and day.  In "Despicable Me", the father is a con artist who's intent is to USE the children. They are also sent back to face the "box of shame" with the mean orphanage director. This movie was truly despicable!

But in Kung Fu Panda 2, the father is a wonderful father, provider, nurturer who never has any ill intent towards his son. He only wants what is best for him. 
There are HUGE differences between the two. 
One made FUN of adoption, and the other SUPPORTED it and revealed true issues  head on, even if it was a Bird and a Panda who were father and son. :)  
That is why I would recommend Kung Fu Panda 2.

5 comments:

Joy said...

We have it on bluray and I prepared one of my daughters before she watched it. All of the peacock's verbal insults to Po are horrible and she is one to take this stuff on personally. I told her the whole story and let her know it ended well so she wouldn't be worried the whole time she was watching it. All of my girls love it and they talk about it from time to time.

Mike and Christie said...

Joy, I'm glad you could prepare her ahead of time. We didn't know anything about the movie, so I was a little worried. The Peacock was a very dastardly character! The girls really did enjoy it. And the peacock got his just deserts in the end! :)

traumatotreasure said...

This is SO interesting to me! I didn't like either movie. Well, I couldn't watch either without being triggered. I do have to say that I believe that Kung Fu Panda 2 was a much better interpretation of what adoption is like in the real world. There are struggles. There are times when the child questions who they are and where they belong. It also gives hope that one day, if you work through your stuff, it's possible to be happy, content and know where you belong in life. Thanks for the review. I'm glad your girls liked it!

traumatotreasure said...

Thanks for this post Christie! I'm so glad that your girls were able to watch it, take it in, and love it. I too disliked Despicable Me and struggled with the derogatory attitude towards adoption. However, I really struggled with Kung Fu Panda 2 as well! I don't think it was necessarily the theme of adoption but rather where I was at emotionally. Both movies were MAJOR triggers for me. I do appreciate the reality they intertwined into Kung Fu Panda 2! That life is so real for many adoptees. so it covers the pin points of PTSD and confusion but then gives hope that if you work through your stuff, you too can live happily and enjoy life to the fullest. Thanks for another great post Christie!

Mary Grace Biggs said...

It was a good movie. Mom cried every time baby Poe cried.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin