His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Shaken Bottle of Soda

A shaken bottle of soda is about the description of a child who is anxious about the holidays.  This being Miss Alli's first Christmas with us, we have been trying to be very careful with her to keep her regulated and even keeled.

The closer we have gotten to Christmas, the more memories have poured in. Of COURSE they have, as she has no memories made for this holiday here. 
Some of her memories have been good, some not so good, but we listen and snuggle and work on making new ones.

I mentioned to Mike that she is like a shaken bottle of soda. We can take the lid off and watch the explosion, or we can let the pressure out a little at a time and see if we can keep the soda from overflowing. :)    We both decided for the latter, and so we broke tradition.  We allowed her to open a very special gift we knew would keep her busy all day, with delight.  

She knows Christmas isn't about getting, and she also has not begged to open anything. I am really proud of her for that.  But the intenseness of feelings and overwhelm of so many coming over, the unknown, and past memories have caused her to be so excited and nervous at the same time. 

I figured that if she had to go all day today with anticipation.... she'd explode. :) There was a gift that Anna and I purchased together. We had seen it for a while but it was very expensive.  Then, when we went to Tuesday Morning, there it was..... LESS than 1/2 the price we had seen it for elsewhere! We couldn't resist getting it for her.

She was so excited and  right now while I am typing this, is happily and peacefully playing with Sarah. :)


 And then, we will get that hair brushed. LOL






5 comments:

Diana said...

LOVE this analogy! We found that releasing the pressure slowly helps a lot at our house, too. I've just never put these words to it

We tried something last year that worked so well our kids begged us to do it again this year. It has officially become a new tradition at our house now. We let the kids open all their gift from each other and we open the ones from then to us several days before Christmas. Those are also 90% of what goes under the tree until Christmas morning. This year we opted for the day they got out of school for their Christmas break to do their gift exchange. We've also been spreading out the regular fun over the last few days, doing just a little bit each day. Wednesday we opened all the kids gifts, Thursday we got all the preparations finished. Yesterday we visited with family since a situation has made it extremely emotionally unsafe (and I believe physically as well) for my children to be around a certain extended family member. Then we did a "treasure hunt" (GPS-geocaching style) for our BIG family gift this year...a new tv to go in our newly finished family room. We had so much fun with it. The check points were places like looking at the cool light display in a neighboring town, the lifesized nativity in our own, and a couple of store parking lots. They finally found the treasure hiding in daddy's office! Today we are going out of town. We hope to visit briefly with some other family members with whom relations have been very strained, go out to dinner early in the afternoon, visit some light displays, and literally feed some hungry people along the way by handing out food to those who have none. We'll be home early and put the kids to bed early and then we'll do Christmas tomorrow...one small santa item, gifts from mom and dad, and most of our budget goes to fun things we can do together as a family.

Merry Christmas to you!

Mike and Christie said...

Diana, those are wonderful ideas! I'm so sorry you are having strained relationships with family. That is always hard. :(
We are going Christmas light hunting tonight at 5:30. Then home for supper and watching "It's a Wonderful Life." We plan to let the girls open a common present among them. (They won't be reading this: Dolphin Tale) :) I put "To the Noelles from Flipper" because I couldn't remember the name of the Dolphin. LOL

Merry Christmas!

schnitzelbank said...

Great analogy! I am struggling with my own family right now. My mother is so mentally unhealthy and I can't take any more of her poking at me. I told her today, "I am done. Merry Christmas." Unfortunately, she is in town for the next week. I will just have to dance in circles around her. She is so incapable of being a healthy parent/grandparent. I can't take it anymore. I am done! I feel quite liberated. Just had to share that, thanks.
Anyways, very curious... what did Alli get??? :)
Merry Xmas!

Milena said...

I soak in every piece of advice and hope to remember it if I need to!

Mike and Christie said...

It was a wooden horse corral/barn with 4 small horses.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin