His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas Thoughts

I am baking those Christmas Cookies to once again hang on the tree this year.  I am putting plenty of them at the bottom so little hands that visit can have one and do just as their daddies did long ago.  (Hopefully not lick them all like one daddy I know) LOL

Christmas is such an interesting Holiday.  We ARE celebrating the birth of our savior, Jesus the Christ, but many of our traditions are not necessarily based upon Scripture.  Yule logs, Christmas Trees, etc. have Pagan links.
I know some people who will not celebrate it, because of those links to Paganism.  There are many who celebrate because it is fun, and they have no religious affiliation with the holiday.

The early Puritans who came to America, forbid the celebration of Christmas, and anybody caught celebrating was punished. I have always found that very interesting, especially in light of how we celebrate today! 

The Germans were the ones who brought trees into the house and hung fruit on them to celebrate Winter Solstice. This ritual was said to bring good luck for the following year. It is interesting that many antique ornaments are shaped in various kinds of fruit.  I wonder if this is where Fruitcake came from? :)

There was a time when I wondered about putting up a tree, and one of our sons at one point said he would not when he was older. I don't know what his tradition is now....I think I'll ask when they get here. :)
But frankly, I am not a pagan, and I don't know anybody personally who celebrates Winter Solstice. Celebrating the birth of our Lord seems an honorable thing to do, even though the Puritans didn't think so.
So, we celebrate it fully and happily and with great festivity.... Because Jesus IS God, come in the Flesh, the firstborn, incarnate son of God. 

Christmas  is a time of joy and reflection on the greatest gift of all.
May the Lord Greatly Bless you as you honor Him.

3 comments:

Hevel Cohen said...

A symbol is filled with the meaning you put into it. Practiacally all our holidays today have either pagan or secular origins, and we make them honour G-d.

Jo's Corner said...

In one of the foster homes I lived in, the family felt the same way. They were not Pagans and they did not celebrate the winter solstice. But, it's what they DID do that left wonderful memories for me. They also baked cookies to hang on the tree. After Christmas they put the tree in the back yard, right outside the DR window. They left cookies on the tree for birds to eat. It provided much joy for us. On Easter sunday, or maybe Good Friday, the Dad would cut all of the branches off. He would then cut the tree in half. They used rope to tie the tree into the shape of the Cross. That Cross sat on the dining room floor, in the same spot the Christmas tree had been. It was a sweet way to show the Life of Jesus, from Birth to His Death.

Nataly said...

I really enjoyed reading your post.Jesus is the greatest gift all and this year I'm realizing it more than ever.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin