His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Little Bit of Respect!


I don't know what it is like in other parts of the country, but in Texas, it is common when a funeral procession goes by, no matter what side of the street you are on, you STOP.  It is a matter of respect.
There are 2 times where somebody should be honored no matter what; the day they are born, and the day they are buried.  Stopping, is a way of showing those who mourn, that you honor THEM too. 

Today, a funeral procession was going the opposite direction. (just like in this picture but a larger road) MOST people pulled over and stopped. But there were a couple of vehicles that honked and then sped through. It really made me angry that somebody could be so disrespectful to a funeral procession.  If we can't take 3 minutes of our time to give honor, what is WRONG with our society??  How SELFISH!

I don't know the person who died, but I do know the pain and sting of the death of a loved one.  Those few minutes that we wait can be spent in praying for the comfort of another person.  And giving their loved one, one last  honor.

For the fellow that honked his horn and sped by....I feel sad.  He must be foreign to Texas.  I pray that our next generation is not so rude!

7 comments:

Jamie said...

This is interesting, and something I've never heard of. In Massachusetts, we do acknowledge that you shouldn't cut into a funeral procession, but I've never seen anyone pull over for one. That usually only happens for emergency vehicles. I'm glad you mentioned it though, because I'll keep an eye out now in case I'm in a place where that's more common. I certainly think it's appropriate — I only wish it were common here.

Goosegirl said...

I have never heard of this either. I wonder if it is a Texas thing. I am sorry for the person that died and their family but in the areas where we have lived, this is an uncommon practice.

Mike and Christie said...

It is possible that it is a Texas or Southern thing. It has always been that way. I was raised in CA, but don't remember too much about that etiquette. But I have been here for 24 years and it has always been that way. :)

MariaG said...

I recall doing this when I was a child and yet when I've done it I was the only one ... I don't anymore, though definitely it is common practice and courtesy not to cut into the funeral procession and to give right-of-way to the procession. It used to be that funeral processions were accompanied by specially marked cars ... now only a few cars up front get a flag. Here people drive with their hazard lights flashing to signify they are part of the procesion. However, when my uncle died a few yrs ago and the procession was in Montreal this flashing the hazard lights seemed a foreign concept ... we were following to the cemetery and many times were cut into by others making it very hard to follow. I wish we did it the way you do. 'Brings back memories.
MariaG (Canada)

schnitzelbank said...

I spent most of my life in Detroit, and the cars will be marked, but people don't pull over. There's often no place *to* pull over. No shoulder. The cars in the procession often trail each other through red lights, though, which I think is dangerous. I've seen a few near-accidents from this practice.
I moved to Los Angeles a few years ago, and I've never seen a funeral procession here. I think traffic is much too heavy to expect cars to even stay together in a procession, let alone give the procession the right of way.
I have to disagree with you and say that I think this is a safety issue. If not everyone "knows" what to do in a funeral procession, there could be accidents. I, for one, wouldn't know to pull over at all.

FaerieMama said...

Wow, learned something new I love about Texas! Here in New england we always stop if one is going by and we are waiting to get in that line of traffic, but i"ve never seen or heard of stopping if one is going the there direction. I think i'll do that from now on! I always cross myself and pray for those grieving when I see a funeral procession...but stopping and pulling over as a sign of respect is wonderful! I wonder why it started in Texas, but doesn't happen here in the NorthEast!

MariaG said...

Pulling over onto a shoulder would be fine here but since no one else does this, pulling over into an "active" lane (as for emergency vehicles) would cause problems and could be unsafe. 'Wish we still did that here.
Maria G (Canada)

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin