His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Monday, July 4, 2011

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

We can't adopt every child in the world who needs a home.  But we sure would like to.  Actually, what we would like is that every child HAVE a loving home....

My heart is hurting right now after meeting a young man whom I will call John.  He is 18 years old; but he is very much NOT 18.  The person I met last night, was more like a 13 year old. He is slight in size, has beautiful deep blue eyes, that are deep with thought and blonde hair.... He didn't like his hair cut. LOL He thought we wouldn't like it either.....    He has lived most of his life in an orphanage, after living with abusive, alcoholic parents. 

His development has been stunted by not enough food, not enough love, not enough support.  He came to America with a dream of doing well, but quickly became overwhelmed by the enormity of differences.
He didn't know what he wanted or what to do. 
There were expectations of him that he could not meet. Especially in the manner they were expected.
He cannot handle being yelled at. It makes him shut down, and he cannot learn in that environment.
His command of English is limited.

He is now too old to be adopted, yet he needs a home where he can still be a child.  He is very frightened, yet has hope of a job, an education and working hard to have a family.  I found his answers to be positive. He does not drink, he does not smoke.  Alcohol actually scares him; he has witnessed the effects of alcoholism.  He does not have FAS or FASD.

Right now, he is staying with a family temporarily, and is being a very polite guest. This  host family feels confident that he can be successful, he just isn't ready to be on his own right now.  They speak fluent Russian which has helped greatly. 

We have a bed ready for him, if he needs it.  However, I do not think we are the family. There IS a family out there that can take him and he will flourish. This young man needs so much, and has so much to offer.

I strongly believe that if he goes to high school for a couple of years, and then on to college, he will be successful once he has a better grasp on language and culture.  I so want this for him.

Our girls are begging us to keep him. They have such HUGE hearts. 
He loves children, and works well with them. He has said he would love to have younger siblings.
Honestly, I think he would still be able to bond with a family even though he is 18. He desires to!

Please pray for this young man.  He needs a family NOW.... and one that will commit to him and see him through to success.


1 comment:

Hevel said...

One of the best decisions our family made was opening our home to the legally adult young men who live with us. Time with one of them has been very short: he is soon starting his compulsory military service, but our home will be the home where he comes for weekends and furlough.

I hope his family will step forward soon!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin