His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Monday, July 25, 2011

THE FAMILY JEWELS

 Several years ago, Aunt Carla purchased these for us for Christmas.... We still have them.
Today, Miss Alli was in a bit of a "mood" and talked back.  When I asked her to please not talk
back, she said, "I can't help it! I can't just NEVER talk back....."    It was one of those moments of being right and WRONG!
Yes dear, I understand that you will most likely have another moment of talking back, but that does not mean you can INDULGE just because you know it will happen again.

So, I asked her to sit down by me. I was not prepared to speak, and I needed her to patiently wait until I could come up with some sort of wisdom to impart to her.  She sat, and waited..... I asked her..... "Do you know what it is to be punished?"  She said yes! I was punished ALL the time before!
UGH

No, I mean do you know what it is to be punished properly?  She said no....... (me digging hole)

So, why was  I headed down the punishment road?  Most likely because I was irritated.
 And that is not a reason to punish.

Which brings me to why I don't really punish..... HOWEVER, we do discipline! 

Having her sit next to me and patiently wait, was most likely the best thing, because she calmed down.  She also saw that I don't always have instant answers.......

I figured some humor was needed, so I asked her....."Miss Alli, have you ever viewed the Family Jewels?"  She said, no....insert  puzzled look....
So I got out the jewels from my desk drawer where they have been nestled for years. :)  I carefully opened the box and said, "THESE are the FAMILY JEWELS!"
I lowered my voice to a "MYSETERIOUS and SERIOUS" tone and whispered, "watch carefully".....
I took the jewels into my hand and rotated them around and she could hear them make music.... and then I said, "A-HA!  I've got it!"
She had a surprised look on her face! "What mama!"
How about if YOU don't talk back to mama! How about if you DON'T use excuses when you do and instead say, 'I'm Sorry! And also ask the Lord to help you!"
She had this big smile and said, Ok mama.

I placed the jewels back into the container and then Miss Alli gave me a hug and said, "Mama, I really am sorry! I don't know why I did that. I'll try harder."

And that is ALL I wanted to hear. :)
And then she asked.... "Can I hold those?"   LOL

3 comments:

Anigo Montoya said...

Oh those balls are Chines are they not? They way you described it making a musical sound, sounds like the Chines balls we have!

Annie said...

I've never seen those, but they look very magical! What a wonderful thing that you were still and thought of them!

Mike and Christie said...

Yes they are called Chinese Stress Balls. They have a very low toned chime in them. You roll them in one hand around and around without dropping them. (hopefully) I think they are supposed to calm you down and help you focus......
You can get them at any store that sells Chinese trinkets or incense.
I think we have seen them for around 10 dollars.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin