His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Monday, July 18, 2011

One Child At A Time

The big picture is overwhelming....  BUT..... Can we LOVE one Child at a Time?  Can we answer the CALL?   Don't forget God's Call to help the Widow and Orphan.....



I think sometimes we underestimate the Grace of the Lord Jesus in our lives. We underestimate the Power God gives us to press on through His Spirit.  We look at pictures of children who are deemed "less than" by society, and sometimes in our hearts we think..... "I can't!"  "Not me!"  What about later? What about the future?  What about my family?  What about my free time?  What about my outside activities? Would it be fair to my other family members?  and the thoughts go on and on and on.....

The one thing we forget to think about is the absolute BLESSING that a child who is "differently abled" brings to our lives.  We forget about the sweet smile... the response to our love....the little fingers wrapping around ours for the very first time. We forget that each little soul who seems lost in a sea of beds, is a PERSON... a very distinct person.... with thoughts and feelings and longings, no different than you or I.

What if it was YOU in that bed? What if it was YOUR SON or YOUR DAUGHTER in that bed?
Would you not want somebody to reach out and love them too?  What if YOUR child had a disability?
Mine did.  Mine do..... so what? 

Children with disabilities bring all sorts of things into a family. They teach us to love, to be more patient, to not take one BREATH for granted.  They teach us that some things just aren't that important. And they teach us that our IDEA or perception of PERFECTION is certainly not God's.

Erika and I recently heard somebody say something about children who are handicapped and she nearly cried.  It was all negative. So there sat my beautiful, sweet daughter, and this person equated her entire life to being a "pain". 
Maybe they didn't mean it in the manner they spoke it. Maybe they meant that there is heart ache in life.
This is true.  It is not easy seeing your daughter bravely go into an operating room with feet and come out without them.  It was a "painful experience", but it certainly does not define Erika. 

Erika is a JOY and so is Sarah;  and I bet many of the children and even adults seen on this video are also a joy.  It is all in how you view life.

If life is all about our own comfort and entertainment..... maybe we should re think what real life is all about.
Real life STARTS in Christ...... and then.... Oh boy! Hang on for the ride of your life. :)

3 comments:

Mamita J said...

Amen.

Katie - a Blessed Mommy! said...

Ummmm. Yes. I loved yOur thoughts! My heart aches for Erika that she heard such negativity. But how I Pity the person that only saw disability.
Sometimes I feel sOrry for those who by virtue of only having "typical" children miss out on all of the extra blessings we get to experience. We are sO blessed. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Mike and Christie said...

Katie, I totally agree that I wouldn't want things any other way. There is something that I cannot seem to ever put into words, that YOU put into words so eloquently on your blog. There is GREAT blessing in being the parent of a child who is differently abled. And there is great blessing for THEM too. The Lord is close... and His presence is sometimes so thick....especially during times where we are hanging for each breath. (which is where we should ALWAYS be).....

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin