His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Sunday, July 31, 2011

INHERITANCE

Today, our teaching Elder spoke on Adoption.  He was speaking about the Adoption of the Believer in Christ.  Two of the verses he used were:
Galations 4:1-7 and 1 John 3:1.

In Christ, we become ADOPTED sons and daughters of the most high God.  We become JOINT HEIRS... we have a FULL inheritance awaiting us.  We are not treated differently, than God's first born son Jesus Christ.  We are Co-Heirs WITH Him.  That is so amazing to me.  I am an adopted Child, in Christ.

There were times long ago when  I didn't feel like I belonged. Sometimes I felt less than, undeserving, unlovable, imperfect, like I'd never make it.  I felt frustrated and there was much I didn't understand about my "standing" in Christ. I needed to be reminded and refreshed and God was and is ever so patient with me. SO PATIENT and LOVING, offering tender mercies that are new every morning.   His word washes my soul as I read it. I have great confidence that He listens to my prayers and He cares about me, as His child.   He has caused me to TRUST in Him.... He has caused me to change... to see things differently, to be excited about life, and to really LIVE.... sometimes I go backwards and forget who I am .... He is ALWAYS there to catch me, to turn me around and guide me back onto the right track and to remind me of who I am in Christ Jesus.  GOD NEVER GIVES UP ON US!

As I was listening to this sermon this a.m. and pondering adoption in General, it really struck me how God USES the institution of Adoption as an example to us of how he LOVES us and considers US his Children.  He is the perfect example for us to follow!

When parents adopt,  they  bring a child in, who has no understanding of what their new last name even means. Some children have no idea about how a family works or what a family even is! Then, parents  lavish great love upon their child, imparting knowledge and understanding to him.  As the child begins to be familiar with the parent, a relationship starts to bud and grow and the Child LOVES the parents. 
There will be times when the child may have doubts about that love. They may struggle with not feeling like they really belong... and  parents, once again  reassure; "YES, YOU ARE MINE! YOU BELONG!"
You really REALLY do!
And the child becomes aware that they are FULLY and REALLY REALLY a family member.  They have an INHERITANCE that is JUST the same as any other child in that family.  They BELONG and they are SECURE in the LOVE of their parents.

They begin to go to their parents for understanding and comfort. They begin to assimilate into family life and enjoy the benefits of being cared for and nurtured by loving parents. They begin to care about and foster relationships with brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles; all part of their new family. The more they understand, the more secure they feel. The more they interact, the more they become LIKE their family.

And the parents.... begin to understand EVEN MORE , their own standing before a Holy God.  They are safe and secure and REALLY REALLY part of an ACTIVE spiritual family, being conformed into the Image of their older brother, Jesus Christ :)

As my girls sat and listened along with us, I saw them all smiling. Yes, they are doubly adopted. :)

Tonight, Alli was looking at all the knick knacks that surround the living room shelves. She was asking about the history of several different things. I told her, "You know, someday, your and your brothers and sisters will INHERIT all this stuff."  She smiled and said, "Well then be sure and take good care of it!" LOL

She has come so far in 5 months. I cannot believe it will be 5 months on Tuesday! WOW! What an amazing time it has been.  She has very much become a Minich. :)

2 comments:

KC said...

I recommend the book Reclaiming Adoption. Anyway, amen to your post.

Mike and Christie said...

I just ordered it. :)

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin