His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, August 16, 2008

More Understanding .....


Erika has been speaking English now for almost 2 years. I have to be really careful to remember that she doesn't always understand the things she has heard. She might understand the individual word, but our words can have many meanings.

So, we were watching the Olympics. Everybody was busy and Erika was watching alone. She came in and said, "Somebody smashed Michael Phelp's goggles, and he came in 2nd place because of it!" I was shocked! Who could do something like that!???? So I'm looking all over for news about the event and there is nothing.

Then I sit down with her and they use the word, "smash" and "leaky goggles" again.
She said, SEE! They SMASHED his goggles and now they are leaky and he came in 2nd!"

I said, NO, his goggles were "leaky" and he SMASHED the World Record anyway! He came in second in a different "practice race". She was so confused. What is a "World Record" that can be SMASHED? SMASHED means broken, crushed, but it is tangeable, breaking something you can touch and feel. She didn't understand until now that that green line across the swimming pool wasn't really there but was showing us where a swimmer from another race swam before, and now the swimmers swimming now are ahead of that and they are now the fastest! They are the fastest in the world, and when that time is written down, it is a "record". It is recorded, or written down so everybody knows what the fastest time is.

I'm exhausted just typing that. :)

BUT.... now she understands and is very happy that Micahel Phelps was not the victim of "bad worldly goggle smashers!

No comments:

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin