His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Hiroshima and Nagasaki

Yesterday, August 6, was my birthday. I had a wonderful 50th Birthday, complete with a show put on by the girls, and watching the movie Nim' s Island.

So why the title Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

Well, My entire life, on my birthday when we watched the news, there was the infamous laying of the wreath in Japan to recognize those who perished by the first and last atom bombs ever dropped on human beings during a time of war. August 6, 1945 Hiroshima was attacked. On August 9, 1945, a second bomb was dropped on Nagasaki.

I have noticed over the last few years there has been less and less coverage of the event. As a child, I would have welcomed not being born on that day, as every birthday was the somber reminder of Nuclear War. But now, as an adult, I was a little sad that there wasn't more media coverage, especially in the times in which we now live. We are on the verge, if not already there, of another cold war. Pakistan has Nuclear capabilites and the political picture in the Middle East is not good. Iran either does or is close to having nuclear weapons.

One of the problems with history, is if we forget how terrible it was, it will repeat itself.
Some of us are old enough to remember the cold war. Russia was supposed to bomb us at any time, and we were supposed to bomb them at any time. Thus, at school we had bomb drills where we got under our desks and covered our eyes, as if that would help. When we were in Ukraine, our translators told us they did the exact same thing!

I fear that the realities of war are so far removed from us that many younger people see it almost as entertainment. Movies are so realistic and violent and the instant reports of war news on the internet both video and photo numb us from the true horrors of war.

The Nuclear attack on Japan ended the war, but the atrocities continued for decades, with children being born with deformities, and people continuing to die from radiation and radiation related cancers.

Just the accident in Chernobyl, Belarus, caused many cancers and birth defects and deaths, and many don't know that the radiation and fire is still buring today 2 decades later. There are teams that go in for short periods of time and are working on covering the area to keep it from leaking radiation.

So, let's remember to pray for those effected by war, by Nuclear Fallout, and for those who might hastily enter into Nuclear Engagement without thinking through the results.

http://history1900s.about.com/od/worldwarii/a/hiroshima.htm

3 comments:

Melissa E. said...

Steve's birthday is December 7th, Pearl Harbor Day. Hannah's is September 11th. We don't make it a tradition to watch the coverage on TV, though!

But you're right. I always wondered how the Israelites could stumble as frequently as they did. The answer turns out to be pretty close to home: They are like us! They forget, get comfortable, and careless and wander. I wish there were a better way to let subsequent generations understand the reality of what has gone on before them so that they fear its repetition.

Oh, and Happy Birthday! BTW, I heard that Nim's island was a good one. What did you think?

Mike and Christie said...

Hey Melissa,

I thought the movie was REALLY good. :)

There are a few concepts that a newly adopted child might be disturbed by, so you might want to view it first.
(abandoned on an island alone) Mother has died, father lost at sea.

But Jodie Foster is great and makes the movie funny. Even the serious parts.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!

Glad you got to spend it with your granddaughters, too!

Love all the photos ...and the video is priceless!

JJ-

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin