His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Abortion

I wrote in my last post about some quick thoughts on today's anniversary.  It is the anniversary of Roe Vs. Wade
This photo is of our son Timothy who was born between 28 and 30 weeks gestation more than 30 years ago.  Babies like him typically did NOT survive.
In fact, he was declared "Brain dead, twice!  He had a massive brain bleed and was taken off of life support so he could die, because, like they said, he was dead.
Today, he is healthy. A husband, father, teacher, and precious son.

I am SO Thankful that even though there have been great hardships in Tim's life, he had a STRONG will to live!  See his hand on that cord?  He was famous for pulling on things.  They had to literally "paralyze him" so he wouldn't fight the respirator, and right when the doctor told us that he was unable to move, he moved it big toe with purpose! The doctor laughed, "he must have been putting all his effort into moving that toe!"  That is our time.  He WANTED to live.  He LOVES his life.
He could have been aborted or starved to death.  I witnessed in the NICU babies who had fluids withheld  so they would die.  It is done EVERY day in America. 

This post is dedicated to all of the wonderful people who never had a chance to take a first breath, to laugh, to grow, to dream, to feel, to create, to sing, to love, to live life, because they had no voice to say, "I want to live."

Now, I would like to share how I truly feel about abortion and the consequences that have resulted in our attitudes towards it.

I know this is a touchy subject that is not mentioned many times because it brings out strong emotion. But it is RIGHT to talk about it. It MUST be written about and talked about, because it is an elephant sitting in the living room of every person.  It exists! As our teaching elder Justin Wheeler so eloquently spoke today, " Politicians will reason the issue, Philosophers will debate the issue, Judges will decide the issue, but GOD has SPOKEN!"

I am so thankful for our dear pastor Justin. He is like a son to me, and an elder and a dear brother, all at the same time.  His words today, dedicated to this issue, solidified in my mind what I am about to write.

When I was younger, much younger.... I was a married woman in deep trouble. My marriage was in trouble. My husband at the time, had given himself over to sin.  That is about as blunt as I can be. It is true.
We were parents to 3 precious children who came one after the other. :) 
And then.... I found out I was pregnant again.   It was the WORST of times!  Things were simply AWFUL.  I don't talk about this much, but today, I think it is necessary.  Not only were we poor, and  my husband not doing well at all, we were about to be homeless.  In fact, the month I found out I was pregnant, we were evicted from our rental house. 
It was so depressing and sad. 
What was MORE depressing was that family members came forward and put PRESSURE on me to have an abortion.  There was ZERO support, except from the one constant in my life, my mom Dabba.  Dabba was my mother in love.
She always saw the big picture, even when the big picture was hard to see.
NOT ONLY were family members pressuring me, so was the DR.  "You have enough children. "You really should consider your circumstances." 

IT WAS AWFUL..... 
I felt like less than a person at that point in life. I was wondering where God was.  HE WAS THERE, I just didn't know it.  

It was during this time that we stayed in a motel part of the time, and with Dabba part of the time. I never EVER in a million years pictured myself as the poster girl for Margaret Sanger.  But I was.
I was poor, under educated and fertile.
I was a Margaret Sanger NIGHTMARE! :)
To go even further, my Grand Parent in Law was the PRESIDENT for Planned Parenthood in the area they lived. 
When our first child was born, she sent me information from Planned Parenthood. :/
I laugh at the irony now. I was so naive then.

Let me say, I KNOW what it is like to be scared and lonely and destitute.  I know what it is like to not know where the next meal will come from, or if there will even be a meal.  I know what it is like to not have clothing, or electricity or gas turned on.  I know the feeling of raising children and knowing that somebody else could give them so much more.  I know the feeling of feeling sub human and I know the feeling of being loathed, hated, despised. 
BUT THESE ARE PASSING! They are not etched in stone, nor are the permanent! Why? Because of GOD! Because we serve a MIGHTY GOD who GOES THROUGH ALL THINGS WITH US! He suffers WITH US.
And there is PURPOSE IN SUFFERING!
I KNOW THIS!

To make a decision based upon circumstance instead of moral law is just WRONG!  It is SHORT SIGHTED!  We cannot see what the future holds, but we KNOW WHO holds the future!

I did NOT abort my youngest son. I was not able to provide for my sons the cutest clothing, the latest toys or the best food.  But I am  proud of them.  Parenting is NOT about giving our kids stuff. It is about LOVE!
You may have heard me refer to my youngest son's  family as "The Adorables". Every day I am thankful for his life. He has been adorable since the day I layed eyes on him. And our circumstances DID CHANGE! 
He was affectionately referred to as "The motel baby". :)  He was 6 weeks old before we were able
to finally move into a new apartment.
During that time, I am forever grateful to our pediatrician who encouraged me through some really hard times.  He gave me his phone number and told me to call him every day and tell him how we were doing.  I called him several days in a row to tell him we had played together, how the baby was, what the boys were doing and how we danced or played a ring around the rosie game.
I am so thankful that he KNEW our circumstances but encouraged me and each day I called he affirmed me as a mom.  "You are a good mom!" "Keep up the good work!"  He knew we were in a terrible state.

The Lord seemed to bring people into my life that helped me through some of the darkest days of my life.

All HUMANS are created in the Image of God.  EVEN IN THE WOMB. 
From the MOMENT of conception, ALL GENETIC code is present! ALL OF IT!  There is NOTHING MISSING, NOTHING ADDED LATER!  Scientists from Harvard and the Mayo Clinic have confirmed this!  We are NOT A BLOB OF CELLS, we are PEOPLE from the very first egg and sperm coming together.
Sperm and Egg come together and do not form a Plant, puppy or kitten. They form a HUMAN BEING.
Since the earliest laws have been made, there have been laws AGAINST abortion! 
Our Justin taught us today that the original language in scripture uses the exact same word for a baby IN the womb as a baby or toddler OUTSIDE of the womb!  God does NOT distinguish between a baby who is pre born or already born.

In Psalms 139: 13-16 - the scripture elaborates "
For you formed my inward parts;

you knitted me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.1

Wonderful are your works;

my soul knows it very well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you,

when I was being made in secret,

intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;

in your book were written, every one of them,

the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there was none of them.

(charlie smiling in the womb, very much a baby)
GOD WAS WITH US IN THE WOMB!  What a precious scripture, to remind us that our days, EACH ONE OF THEM have been written already.  Not ONE day of our lives was not known by God.
I shared this after church with my girls.  Isn't it precious that God was with you, even in the womb!
He KNEW YOU, even then! :)  You are fearfully and wonderfully made! God makes NO MISTAKES! NONE! NOT ONE!
In the scripture, in the Gospels, Elizabeth was 6 months pregnant when Mary, the mother of Jesus came to her, newly pregnant with Jesus.  Elizabeth says to her  that when she heard her voice, the "babe in her womb lept with joy"!  John the Baptist was the prepared forerunner of Jesus Christ, and he expressed JOY before he was born.  He was a PERSON!

Hippocrates was against abortion and stated he would not give any medicine to help a woman end a pregnancy or give medicine to kill a baby after it was born.  Modern scientists today have spoken regarding when life begins, and many renound geneticists and scientists have testified under oath at a senate committee hearing that life begins at conception.

Abortion is not a new thing. It has been going on since the beginning of time.  IT is WRONG!
Abortion is a result of taking things into our own hands and not trusting the Lord. 

In our society today, it has been made "Legal"..... How I will never understand.... "Legal Murder".
The results of abortion on our society have been devastating.  Those who claim to be thinking about women, have done the most to destroy them.

It is my belief, that when when a baby enters the life of a woman, EVEN in the womb, the woman no longer has the luxury of thinking about herself, of their rights to her body, period.  A woman MUST put herself aside for another. That is our CALLING.
 For MANY YEARS there has been a tearing down of women, and a demeaning of motherhood as something "less than", in our society.  Women are told they should be in charge of their bodies, and control what happens to them.  If a baby is an inconvenience, get rid of it!  If you are single, or young, or poor, don't ruin your life with a child! Do what YOU want! 
It is a LIE from the PIT of Hell itself! 
And MANY have fallen for it.  Sadly, many continue to suffer with the tremendous guilt of having taken the life of their own child.

As Christians, we bear some responsibility for this also.  Many times, Christians can be so very judgmental towards a person who gets pregnant. Instead of rallying around an expectant mother who may not be married, we judge her harshly! We judge the one who chooses to keep her baby and the one who chooses not to. :(
  Of course sex outside of marriage is sin.  But at the same time, "He who is without sin.... .cast the first stone!"  Remember we are ALL sinners.
Compassion is so needed within the Church!
Girls growing up in harsh homes sometimes would rather have an abortion than talk to their parents. 
PARENTS! This is a PROBLEM!  We need to face the facts that sometimes we have been so harsh that our children would rather commit murder than disappoint us! We need to WAKE UP!

We need to talk to our children about ALL of these issues:  Sexual relations, the REASONS we wait until marriage, pregnancy, abortion, motherhood..... IT IS OUR JOB!    GOD does NOT make laws or rules just so we can't have fun!  His Laws make sense!  A baby needs a committed mother AND father!  God's law is there with the intention for babies to have PARENTS!
It is GOOD!

There is NO WHERE in Scripture that says a child is anything but a BLESSING!  NO WHERE!
Children are precious gifts from our Lord to us. 

50 MILLION of them, have been murdered in the last 40 years. :( 
The truth is: ABORTION IS EVIL, IT IS UGLY, IT IS ONE OF THE MOST INSIDIOUS ACTS AGAINST HUMANITY EVER! 

I fear for our nation, as we continue down the slippery slope of NOT protecting LIFE.
95% of babies with Down Syndrome are aborted!
I do not know the percentage of those with other disabilities.  But I do know when I was researching Arthrogryposis  7 years ago, before we adopted Erika, the only blogs I could find were those who ABORTED saying they were doing the "Loving thing!"  REALLY?  The loving thing was to decide that somebody else didn't have the RIGHT TO LIVE??  Since that time, another little girl was born with Arthrogryposis and her mama blogs so lovingly about her and her big brother who also has limb difference.  There are few other blogs that I have found, and I am so thankful for them. :)

I once had a relative come over to our house. This was when Erika was recovering from having her feet amputated.  This person said, "If I had a 'mongoloid' child, I would keep it... .anything ELSE I would have ABORTED!" 
I was in total shock at the callous hurtful statement.  3 of my children in this woman's mind were not worthy of life.  I wept after they left.
Those words were evil.  The sad part was, this person claims to know Christ.  :(

Sadly, as our country slips deeper and deeper away from the wisdom of God, and following the evil that permeates our society, we wind up with the inevitable conclusions of where the Pandora's box of abortion leads.  Consider this article to see where the future is headed. :( 

For those who's lives have been impacted by abortion, there is hope and there is healing, in Christ.
Our pastor left us with these words from Paul in 1 Timothy 1:13-15
1though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.

Paul, when he was SAUL, put Christians to death. He was a persecutor of believers.  He knows what it is like to be a dirty rotten sinner, blind and in darkness, and then called into the marvelous light of Jesus Christ.

Some resources regarding abortion:
http://www.epm.org/blog/2013/Jan/18/every-life-precious
http://www.desiringgod.org/searches/abortion?utf8=%E2%9C%93
http://www.epm.org/resources/2010/Mar/8/scientists-attest-life-beginning-conception/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hb3DFELq4Y  (The Silent Scream)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYRpIf2F9NA  (Infanticide)
With our society's views on abortion and the  handicapped , the next step will be in getting rid of the elderly, those who are deemed "unfit" and we will be back to a Hitlerian society where a purified race is the only acceptable choice.  I pray such evil does not continue, and truth reigns across our land once again.

A quote I read yesterday: "When a heart stops beating it is considered death. Why is it not considered life, when a heart starts beating?"
One more thought:  If you ARE in a situation of pregnancy and do not feel that you can parent a child, please consider adoption.  It is a VERY good option! 

4 comments:

Hevel Cohen said...

I celebrate this day, so women like my grandmother, or the poor woman in Ireland just last fall, cannot be killed by religious zealots based on biblically unfounded principles. Life begins with the first breath, and we know that G-d himself doesn't treat a fetus as a person: causing the termination of a pregnancy brings a fine, killing a person brings the killing of the culprit.

There is also a big and unfounded jump from legalizing abortion to suggesting general euthanasia practices becoming widespread.

Christie Minich said...

Hevel,
We'll agree to disagree on this one. :)
But one step leads to the next. It isn't that far fetched....
Our attitudes towards the unborn, the handicapped and the elderly are appalling.

The word in the original language makes no distinction between a pre born baby and a baby out of the womb.

It seems that if a pregnant woman wants her baby, it is a baby. If she doesn't, it is a fetus or a blob of cells.

Life begins with conception. Check out what scientists say today. I'll try and get some links for you. But there is no question that life is life is life. Aborted babies BLEED and life is in the blood.

TheCoffeys said...

Christie,
I thought this was a compassionate and well thought out post. I agree that we have to speak up and proclaim the truth while still loving the women. I am praying for all of those women who have hurt themselves and their babies. I know many suffer depression and guilt many years after having an abortion. I am so thankful that God forgives us if we ask Him and then is able to heal us - no matter what we have done:) It's too easy for all of us to believe the lies - ie: God is not good, He does not have a plan for us, I am alone, etc. Blessings, Sherrie

Christie Minich said...

Today, I am babysitting 5 children so a precious mama can take child number 6 for a doctor visit. He was born at 23 weeks gestation and weighed less than a pound. He is 3 years old now and just a precious little boy.
To think if he had not been wanted, he could have been discarded into a trash can as medical waste makes me sick.
I'm so happy he survived!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin