His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Friday, January 27, 2012

Erika and her Hip

Erika's hip starting hurting on Monday.  I wonder  if she is turning into a great weather predictor like her brother Tim and me??
We went to the doctor today, and they want to remove the plate and pins in her hip that remained from her past surgery.  They also will be cutting away some bone on the bottom of one of her amputations that continues to cause her pain.  

Not sure when this will happen, but it will most likely be after winter camp and before summer camp. :)
That is HER schedule. :)  She lives from camp to camp. LOL

We showed Alli around the hospital today so she could see where Erika would stay. We went to the surgery floor, the inpatient room, the child life room and the therapy room.  In the therapy room she became a "demonstrator" for some students on how kids with arthrogryposis feed themselves, and how she is learning to get up off of the floor. 
She is so funny.  She said, "I came to visit, not for therapy!" :)
She was a good sport!
SO, deep breaths and time for a new adventure! :)

8 comments:

Kelly said...

What a trooper she is. She's wonderful. Blessings on her, and you! Kelly

Hevel Cohen said...

I hope the surgery will be scheduled at a convenient time and that it will help her!

JJ said...

Any chance Erika will be able to bend at the hip when this is done? So glad you consider her time line. I think being psychologically ready for a procedure is critical to healing. It will also make for a more manageable patient, methinks.

Praying for you all.
JJ

Mike and Christie said...

Unfortunately, no JJ. There is nothing they can do for her hip. She doesn't have a proper femer bone and the hip joint is malshaped preventing her from bending. :(
In this day and age there is nothing, but who knows what technology can develop in the next 20 years! :)

Erika Minich said...

Were not sure if it is going to happen Mom. I still have to think about it.


Erika Minich

Mike and Christie said...

I know sweetie. :) Keep thinking. :)

Katie - a Blessed Mommy! said...

Keep us posted on possible surgery dates- maybe we can bring YOU coffee this time!!
Hang in there- praying for wisdom and discernment re surgery decisions.
Love, katie

Mike and Christie said...

Thank you Katie!
We are really praying about it. It is Erika's decision ultimately.
Right now, she is more worried about camp and pain. Of course. :)

We are discussing the pros and cons, of how a few weeks in a wheel chair will help her in the long run, to not have pain.

It is such a strange place to be in, when it comes to these things, because nothing will be perfect, ever. And it isn't something to save her life. That would be a different issue.
I feel strongly we need to respect her, and let her have some control over her own body.
I know many disagree, and that is fine.... I find the person inside WAY more important than the body she exists in, and how it functions.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin