His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Alli's Eye Appt.

Alli had her eye appointment today.  She did so well.  I have to say, I was so very proud of her.  Because just like the other day, she expressed herself and communicated with her words.
Last year when we went, if he said something like, "Tell me when the lines line up."   She wouldn't say anything, she would just shrug, because she didn't understand what he meant, and I'd have to tell him to reword it.
THIS TIME.... 2 or 3 times when she didn't understand something, she'd simply say, "Can you explain what you want me to do?"  And he would. 
I am simply amazed at the difference in her ability to communicate AND her confidence.

When we go back in two weeks for followup, he wants to talk to me more about what we are doing at home, as he works with many children who are diagnosed RAD and PTSD, ADD and ADHD. 
He noticed a huge difference. :)

We got to talking about brain science and rebooting the brain and then about the neurons in the brain being retrained.  He understands this from an eye standpoint and says that the idea that an eye can't be turned on after the age of 5 or 6 has been disproved.  He said, those neurons are still forming well into the teen years. 
I came back with, well, the brain is still developing WELL beyond the teen years too, and therefore children with trauma CAN and DO heal.  We will NOT be forever stuck in trauma-land.

I love being able to talk to a doctor about this stuff and have them excited! :)



1 comment:

Hevel Cohen said...

It's amazing what love and good parenting can do...

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin