His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Many Hands Make a Light Load


When Alli first came home 8 months ago, she thought chores were given out for punishment.  This had been her experience before.  We never use chores for punishment, because chores are a regular part of life. They are not a drudgery, if we can look at them as just being a  part of being in a family.

She did NOT understand that part of family  before.  The idea that many hands make a light load,
and taking pleasure and pride in a job well done, was foreign to her :)
Things have CERTAINLY changed! :)
Today, she started her kitchen chores without being asked. She scrubbed the floor and was working on the last of the dishes when I took this video.


5 comments:

Milena said...

I so hope I will be able to make my children understand that too! My sons are way better than their sister, despite them being younger by 3 and 6 years.... She excels in not wanting to participate, or do a lousy job, repeatedly :-( She somehow thinks she's a princess. Please give me some advice :-) !

schnitzelbank said...

I love this! She is a real sweetheart. I am so glad you were able to help heal her heart. I can tell what a great mom you are, just by these 40... no, 39... seconds of video. If you share this with Alli, please tell her that I'm proud of her, for being able to open her heart again and trust you. She has a great future ahead of her. :)

Joy said...

Our daughter, adopted at 14, felt the same way. I didn't know it at first, and I really didn't give her very many chores then either. The first time I had her pre-wash her own underwear during her period, she gave me looks to kill. She didn't have enough English to tell me then that she had to do the orphanage laundry BY HAND in China. She also has told me about being made to scrub the bathrooms at the orphanage. We've eased her into chores, just by chance, and she seems to be okay with it for the most part. Every now and then she'll look at me mean when I ask her to do something for the first time. I have her do it anyway and then the next time, she's okay with it.

Joy said...

PS - I LOVE your kitchen cabinets. Are they original? I'm asking because we are in the planning stages of a kitchen remodel and I'm always on the look-out for different ideas. :-)

Mike and Christie said...

Joy, they came with the house and were custom made for the house.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin