His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Family Rituals


Early in the morning, many times Sarah is the first one up and she and daddy will sit together by the computer or by the fire place and talk. I layed in bed this a.m. a little extra longer, just so they could be together and not be interrupted by my busyness of getting breakfast ready. So until I heard daddy say, "I can't believe mommy is still sleeping, she must have been tired!" I layed there joyfully listening to their sweet exchange.

One of the things they do in the a.m. is sing a sweet made up song.

He'll say, "My daughter", she'll respond "My daddy", and then they make up everything from there. It is funny and sweet and they both seem to just love doing their song.

Family rituals are so important and they are the memory makers, which is one of the ingredients in the glue that holds the fabric of a family together. These rituals do not take loads of money, they do not take huge planning efforts for expensive vacations. We have little rituals that are different with each girl. They simply just happen and they are from the heart.

4 comments:

Weston Elliott said...

My dad wasn't a big talker, but our thing to do together was take a bump in the road to our house wayyyy too fast! (when we were alone in the truck, of course!) We must have bent that poor old '69 Chevy's axles about in half!

25 years after I lost him, it's still one of my favorite memories.

Mike and Christie said...

I always miss my dad at Christmas time too. He died 20 years ago.

One of my favorite memories was going to get a hamburger at the local drug store on Friday nights. We would walk there, and I remember one time he bought me a blue horse for 5 cents. :)
I think I must have been 4.

The other thing I used to do was sit with him in the garage and wait to press on the brakes. I would wait for what seemed like hours just to press the brake.

Mike reminds me a lot of my dad. He is quiet, but once you get him talking, he can really TALK! :)

AND.... I still get to press on the brake. LOL

The Monroe 6 said...

I LOVE this post.
You are right, it is the little things that mean so much and that make the best memories.
We made up songs for each of our kiddos when they were babies. We still sing them today and do a dance. The kids love it! Their faces brighten up when it is time to sing their song!
You have inspired me to blog about it!!! :)
By the way, I LOVE all of your stories about the girls. I started reading your blog long ago after finding it on FRUA.
Ya'll are a precious family with a true heart for God!
~amy

JJ said...

How special! AWE!

WAH!!! Now I wanna another little girl! ;+)

So, so sweet!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin