His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

LUNCH


YUM! I love being able to make healthy lunches for the family every day. One of the benefits of homeschooling, is a good healthy lunch at a great price!
Cucumber 44 cents
Tomatoes 1.00
Onion 35 cents worth
50 cents worth of cheese
and pennies for the rest.
We fed 5 people for less than 50 cents each AND it was gluten free :)

What is your favorite, healthy, economical lunch?




Cucumber sliced
Roma Tomatoes sliced
1/2 White Onion sliced
Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinegar
Garlic
Pepper
Dash of Sea Salt
Parsley

Sprinkle with freshly grated Romano and Sunflower Seeds

9 comments:

Sarah Slaven said...

Hey there, I just found your blog after a Google search for "Jeremiah Puddle duck" (by the way I'm so pleased she is a Christian duck now)
Just thought I'd say hi and tell you you have a very beautiful and inspiring family.

Hevel said...

Hm, favorite economical lunch? Before Ezra it was whole grain pasta and sour cream for the boys. Now it's fish grilled with green peas in tin foil. I just have to keep shiri and Ezra from eating the tin foil.

mommajeane said...

This is a favorite salad of ours. It is very much like the ones we ate in Ukraine, Russia and Bulgaria. It is yummy...makes me want to eat one for our lunch or dinner.

Annie said...

My favorite thing about homeschooling was that I got into a routine that allowed me to feed my family better - only in our case (because I was still working at church) it was a big, healthy breakfast. I'd also prepare a good portion of dinner and we'd leave for church/my work between 11 and 12. Around three we' have tea and something to eat, and go home for another big healthy meal around 6-7.

My favorite economical breakfast was slow-cooked Irish oatmeal with fruit and sometimes nuts.

Your salad recipe, or one very similar is known in Russia as "Summer Salad" and is a favorite with everyone in our house.

Mike and Christie said...

Thank you Sarah.... Are you referring to The Duck the girl's baptized?
"Covenant Theology and Ducks?"

Our son who is at Reformed Theological Seminary got a kick out of his sisters baptizing that duck. LOL

Mike and Christie said...

Summer Salad is a good name for it.

We have fish we like to grill or bake.

I made this tarter sauce that everybody likes. I couldn't find one I liked so had to make one.

It is just sour cream, garlic,
onions, dill, salt and pepper (a little) and a little dill pickle relish. Goes great with fish.

THE OLD GEEZER said...

This sounds very good. I think I'll ask my wife to give it a try.

BTW, thanks for following my blog and your recent comments.

~Ron

:)De said...

During the school week, the kids usually pack lunches in lunchboxes as they enjoy eating outside for "recess".

1 of our favorite lunches is something we call "tray lunch" where we take 2 kinds of fruits, 2 kinds of veggie, cheese, some type of protien (meat or red beans, which the kids will eat right out of the can) yougurt, crackers or cubed bread. Everything is sliced very thin and laid out pretty on a tray. A great family sharing moment... eating from the same tray.

Mike and Christie said...

That tray lunch sounds very pretty and appetizing! :)

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin