His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Special Moment



I didn't get a movie this time. I thought I was taking a movie, and instead I was taking a picture. I was using Erika's camera, AND, when I jumped in the lake, I jumped in with my famous glasses that are now gone. :(
So, I couldn't see to push the right button. LOL
It is funny, how something seemingly mindless, like water sports can bring about sweet moments that bring us together with each other and with our creator.
We can worship in everything we do, and I believe Erika understands this concept very well.

Yesterday, Erika went back on the knee board. But this time, daddy didn't stay in the water with her or help her up on the board. This time, she did it all herself.

We watched her struggle to get on that board, and get herself positioned so she could hang on. She fell off more than enough times, but didn't ask for help. And then, she got up and pulled herself to the right spot, got her rope positioned correctly and said, "GO! NOT TOO FAST!"

And we were off. It was the longest ride in history. We wound up going at a normal speed, which actually makes it easier to handle the board, and she moved all over the place and turned her body to make the board go different directions. At one point, I thought she would fall going through a bunch of waves made by a different boat, but no, she hung on.

After 20 minutes, she was still hanging on. I couldn't believe it...! There she was back there mouthing words I couldn't hear, and it seemed like she was singing. :)

She was gliding through that water like a happy fish, with the full freedom to fly, and she knew it. She was savoring every moment.

She finally let go of the rope because her hands couldn't hold the rope any longer and we all cheered at a great ride!

So what was she singing?
"In me there is strength to move mountains, In me, there is strength to walk on water, if I just believe the way and the truth and the life."

And just like our Heavenly Father, her daddy watched over her carefully in the rear view mirror to make sure she was ok.

5 comments:

JJ said...

I immediately noticed Erika's determination to do things herself, when we 1st met, Christie. Rather than volunteer my help, I quickly learned to wait for her to ask for assistance, which was rarely needed. Erika has strong faith and a positive attitude that says, "I can do this". Erika has moved MANY mountains of inability, transforming them into reminders of all her enabled conquests. What a testimony of God's sovereignty, she is!

Miss Erika, you are a very special young lady who is dear to my heart! You have amazing courage, and will, no doubt, excel at whatever tasks you set your mind to accomplish. A true picture of tenacity!

Keep on keeping on, Mountain-moving gal! I am blesses to know you!

JJ

Hevel said...

Erika is such an inspiration! That said, your whole family is!

Mike and Christie said...

Hevel, that is funny you should say that. I just gave her an "Inspiration Award". :)

Mike and Christie said...

JJ,
Thank you for your kind words about Erika. You are very observant. :)

When we were in the boat, last time, our son asked a few times, "Aren't you going to help her?" and then
when we were at a store, she was getting in the van and he tried to help her and she said, "I've got it! But thanks anyway." LOL

One of the hardest things to do, is to patiently wait, while she struggles to do something on her own, yet if we didn't wait and let her do it on her own, she wouldn't be doing what she is doing! Does that make sense?

When she needs help, she asks, and she is careful not to take advantage. I so appreciate that about her.

JJ said...

Yes, I understand completely. Being most helpful at times, means not helping. Quite a contradiction of terms, not to mention difficult for those raised to take the initiative to be thoughtful.

Erika asserts firm boundaries, graciously. She would make a great diplomat, IMO!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin