His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Friday, February 27, 2009

Its Good To Sit Back and Analyze


It has been almost a week since I broke a bone in my foot. I thought it would be a wise idea to try and walk with that boot thing (air cast) and try it without crutches yesterday. Today, I don't think it was such a good idea. I think I set myself back to last week. When I got up this a.m., Mike had already gone to Scottish Rite Hospital to do his volunteer work, and there was nobody to fetch my crutches and I figured I could make it to the bathroom without the boot....duh. As I limped to the bathroom, I felt a crunch again. Dang..... So I'm back to no pressure on my foot and crutches.
Erika's response: "Mom, you are such a mess!" LOL Yes dear, I am. :)

BUT>>>>>> Now for the good news about this week:

I did not realize how much I had been doing for the girls to make sure things got done correctly with their chores. It is second nature to "finish" things for them. I tend to baby them abit due to their special needs, and I don't think that is doing them good. I can see that clearly right now,since I can't help them finish things.
The truth is, sometimes it is easier for me to finish something than to teach them to do it themselves. I have been lazy in that way. So when they did the dishes and didn't clean out the sink, I couldn't do it. And then daddy came in and called them over and asked, "Who didn't clean out the sink?" "Do you think this job is complete?" So he taught them how to "finish" things. Last night, nobody had to teach them! They did the kitchen very well!

I love it that Mike tag teams with me the way he does. I love it that we support each other with the girlies. I had to tell him that them not finishing their job was my fault because I haven't expected it of them. So he taught them.
I think they were really proud this a.m. when I was at the kitchen sink and told them, "Wow, it is really nice to wake up to a totally clean sink!"

This week has really gone smoother than I thought it would. When something is out of the ordinary or "off kilter", typically I can expect that Anna will be a bit off kilter, but instead, she has shown compassion, she has been helpful and overall has remained steadfast and steady including volunteering to make Daddy's lunch along with our employee Therron's, lunch. I am so thankful. I think she is growing up! :)

This was a very good week school wise. We have been studying westward expansion, and since I own PBS's "Frontier House", I have let them watch parts of it.

They have really enjoyed watching it. Even the negative parts of watching the people argue or gossip has been an opportunity to discuss moral issues, including gossip, helping our neighbor, dishonesty, hard work, what is really important, and much more.

Because the girlies have watched how hard the families worked on Frontier House, they aren't seeing that their chores are difficult at all and I even caught Sarah trying to wash her shirt outside. LOL

5 comments:

JJ said...

Selah! Isn't this the KJV word for reflecting upon God's goodness in Psalms, in a meditative way...sort of? ("SO it is".)

This is such a practical time for the girls to get to see their chores through to the end. Think about how much more skilled they will be...and accustomed to doing things correctly! :-)) Woo hoo!

When David broke a bone in his foot, it took a year before he could hop out of bed pain free BTW, especially on cold mornings. (The first pressure of the day on his foot was the most critical.)

Diana said...

I'm a gimp too. I just haven't blogged about it. I took my little son down a water slide a few weeks ago and fractured my heel upon entering the pool. It took me 3 weeks to work up enough courage to go to the doctor. All they did was x-ray it and tell me to stay off it (Ha! Like that's going to happen. I'd already been walking on it for 3 weeks and they told me it wasn't in danger of moving or getting worse.) I tried an orthopedic shoe for awhile, but it hurt worse than anything. So, I just live with it.

My thing with jobs is that I get so frustrated with having to teach them how to do it correctly EVERY TIME THEY DO IT - and this goes for my bio daughter, too. Ugh! The joys of parenting.

Mike and Christie said...

Oh Diania, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon. I think I set myself back to last week today, so I am in a protective boot with crutches. I didn't know you could break your heel. Ow.

It is easier to finish things myself than follow through to the end. Because what takes me 2 minutes might take 20 minutes of teaching. I'm so guilty of that. LOL But, I also know it is best to take the 20, and Mike is a great help in that area. :)

Mike and Christie said...

Julie! A year!!! I have that pressure feel all the time without the break. :( dang.

Debbie said...

Oh, your doctor will not be happy with you walking without your boot and crutches! I'm sorry about your foot, but I'm glad for how God is using it in your lives. He is a great teacher.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin