His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Good Reminder

Last night, I was helping the girls wind down from the day. We needed to finish chores, clean up and get ready for bed. As I was throwing out instructions, I asked them to please not touch a few things on the table, because I was working on them. Well, they got touched. So I asked, who moved my things? Then, when Erika went over to the table she said, these things? and started moving them. I said, "I told you not to touch those things!" (these are my tax papers I'm working on, so I need them untouched or I'll get lost!) She then went over to do something else, and I reminded her, that yesterday we showed her to do things a different way and she had not done it the way we showed her.
She looked abit confused, and then got teary. 2 times in a few minutes she was corrected and seemed bewildered about why.....

So me in perfect form (NOT) says, if you are going to cry, you need to do it in the other room. duh....
So she REALLY pulls out the tears. I was in the kitchen kicking myself for not being more sensitive, and then it dawned on me. Something she said was, "You are talking too fast." She hasn't even been in the USA for 3 years, and I am expecting her to understand language like Anna. She doesn't. It is easy to forget when a child doesn't have an accent, speaks rather well, does well in school, and generally seems to understand what you are saying. But I do notice that many times she guesses, or she asks questions. Sometimes she doesn't know how to ask the question. Language aquisition is such an interesting phenomenon.

So, I sadly went into the bedroom and sat down with her and said, "Can mommy say I'm sorry?" She sat down on my lap and I apologized to her for not realizing she was not understanding everything I was saying. I told her that I forget that she is still learning English, and we are ALL learning language. It is a never ending process.

So she smiled and we had a hug, the tears stopped and we shared some I love yous.
She went to bed happy and understood, and I still have those papers on the table to finish getting ready for the tax man.

1 comment:

The Monroe 6 said...

You are such a sweet and understanding mom.
I need to work on the "understanding" with my newly adopted girl too.
You are so right, it is sooooo easy to forget.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin