His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Sunday, March 18, 2012

The PROPER Use of Words

I have a confession to make.  I use the word "LOVE" way too much. And I use it out of context.  For instance, in the post below, I said, "the girls LOVED the movie". 
I should have said, "They really liked the movie, or enjoyed watching the movie."  They didn't LOVE it.

I am going to make an effort to use my words accurately..  I don't want to diminish the word LOVE.

Today,  I was teaching my Sunday School Class and I asked the kids to tell me things  they Love!
"Candy!" "My Bicycle!"  "Dogs!" "Toys!" 
And then I asked them, "If you saw a piece of candy in the middle of the street and a car was coming and it was going to run that candy over, would you risk your life to rescue that candy?"
They all laughed!  "OF COURSE NOT!"  :)  (glad they answered that right)
We went through each of the things they said they loved, and none of them would have been willing to risk their life at great peril to rescue even one of those things.

I explained to them, that is because you don't LOVE them.  You like candy, you appreciate your toys, you like your bike.... but you don't LOVE them.

I then said to one of the children specifically, that if He was in the street and his daddy saw him there, I knew without a doubt that his daddy would risk his life and even give up his life for his son. (I know this, because I know this daddy well)  "Do you know why your daddy would do that?  Because he LOVES you."

Then I presented today's lesson which was on the LOVE of Jesus Christ.  The scripture verse was from John 15.  "Greater love hath no man than if he lays his life down for his friends."

I didn't ask them the next question, instead I just stated, "I bet there are some of you in here who would NOT risk your life at great peril if you saw another friend in the street.  Some might, some might not.

But Jesus, the creator of all things, emptied himself, became a MAN, and willingly, NOT JUST RISKED HIS LIFE, but GAVE HIS LIFE UP, for not just His friends, but His ENEMIES too!

That is a true description of Love.  So when I say, "Jesus Loves You!"  It MEANS HE was willing to DIE FOR YOU, and to pay the penalty for YOUR sin, even when you hated Him.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His Only Begotten Son, that WHOSOEVER believes in Him, would not perish, but have ever lasting life." John 3:16

How did God Love the World?  He sent His Son.

So, after class I asked, "Who loves baseball!"  They all looked at me and said, "WE LIKE Baseball!" :)

Good listeners!

5 comments:

Annie said...

I know what you mean, but we don't have enough words. Or, we English speakers are lazy. Perhaps they "delighted in" the movie, or "relished" it, or "thrilled to it"....but none of those phrases sound like the way we talk.

Any way you look at it, it is often necessary to clarify what we mean by love.

Chiara Elena said...

Watching US TV Series and movies, it is really interesting to count how many times, parents and kids, friends tell each other the words I love you. In Italian there are two different verbs to expressed the verb to love, one is: ti voglio bene, and it is used among family members and friends, but still it is never told very often, I told: ti voglio bene to Elena a gazilion times when she was dying but I never told her before as I never told it to many of my best friends, it is simply considered unnecessary among people that really love each other and it is considered even more unnecessary among people that are not close to each other.
The 3 magic words I love you - Ti amo to your husband, or fiance or sweetheart are told maybe once or twice in a lifetime. Again it is considered unnecessary and also very committing if told aloud to someone, it means something like: you are the reason of my whole life, let's get marries, have kids and spend the rest of our life together, it is something so huge I never hed the courage to pronounce it myself to my boyfriend, ever, not even after 13 years together...

Mike and Christie said...

Chiara, that is so interesting!
When I was a child, we were not told anything either. It was just assumed. In many of my friend's homes, they would openly say they loved each other.

In scripture, when Jesus asks Peter "Do you love me"?, three times, the word LOVE in the original language is 3 different words with 3 different meanings. I don't know why we only use one.

Chiara Elena said...

Did I ever feel unloved or unwanted? No, big NO. NEVER. Somebody really needs to hear that, it the case of a dear friend of mine. He lives in Sicily and we see each other very rarely. Every time I call him on the phone I tell him: ti voglio bene, and I know he is all happy, if he tells it to me I feel glad but embarrassed... I'm a weirdo, I know

Mamita J said...

That was an insightful post! You are a wise Sunday School teacher! :-)

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin