His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

BIGOTRY-HATRED- RACISM

Just like yesterday evening when this happened, I am not sure exactly how to put into words what I am about to share.  I am also not sure what the correct response would have been..... I'm still thinking about it.

I was in a Walmart yesterday evening, picking up a few quick supplies.  As I was walking down an aisle, there came a rather noisy family.  There were three smiling children, rather shabbily dressed, hair unkept and dirty.  They ranged in age from around, 7 down to 3 and were all three riding on the basket.   The middle child was saying over and over and over "BEEP BEEP- WHITE PEOPLE COMING THROUGH!"

At first I thought I heard it wrong, but she gave plenty of opportunity to keep saying what she was saying. 
Her "father", who looked like he lost a fight with a bad tattoo artist,  if that is who he was, kept saying, "You keep saying that, I'm proud of you, you can say that all you want!" 
And she continued.  I went to the other side of the store and then went to check out.
Of course, in the line I picked, guess who was in front of me.  And they were still at it.
When it was time for check out, this obnoxious man made the cashier wait to pay for his groceries with a smirk on his face as he texted for several minutes. 
She finally said, "Are you ready to pay?" 
And he eventually paid. 
He looked at me and apparently my face wasn't to his liking and he told the children to start saying the "Beep-Beep White People Coming Through" phrase again..... and they did.

I looked at the cashier and asked, is this allowed to just "go on" in a store where there are people of all races who should be able to shoppe without such bigotry?
Her reply:  "It isn't my place to say anything." 

I said, "Not only is it, it is mine too, and I found myself speechless, watching as a man twisted the minds of his children to teach them hatred against other humans. 
We all bleed red."
The man behind me said, "Amen."
And then we all went our separate ways.
All of us saying nothing.

Honestly, I'm ashamed of myself for not being braver.  I think he would have thought nothing of striking me, and fear caused me to hold my tongue.

Hopefully there will not be a next time. But if there is..... I will not hold back.
We live in Texas, but Texas is NOT "good ole' boy town".
Not MY Texas.

2 comments:

:)De said...

ummmm.... for me I find that attention-seeking ignorance is better ignored. But I hear your heart and I am so sorry that you had to experience that.

Emily Minich said...

I think I would have reacted the same way you did... out of fear I would have kept silent. If the kids were not with me I would have been much more likely to say something, but it would have been hard. I've read that people like that are likely to be shamed into silence if someone confronts them in front of a lot of people, like a whole line of shoppers. I don't know if that's true or not.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin