His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Heather's Daily Reflections

If you have not signed up for these, you really should!  They are sent to you free in your email each morning for a thoughtful thing to wake up to.  I have always found them to be so refreshing!

I am going to post the last few to give you an idea of what they are like.....




Life is a series of appointments, not accidents. Each interaction we have with our spouse or child is an appointment set in advance by God. How are you going to conduct these Divine meetings today?   
Heather Forbes

There is no room for fear in relationships. To apply this concept to parenting, compare these two approaches: (1) 'Suzy, I'm taking these toys out of your room until you get your homework done. Not until then will you get them back.' OR (2) 'Suzy, I think you're having a hard time keeping focused with all these toys in your room. Why don't you come sit with me while I'm paying my bills--they're kinda like my homework--and that way, we can help each other stay focused?'

The first example places all the blame on the child. The parent uses "things" to create motivation within her child. The parent is threatening and controlling. This fear gets transferred to the child and makes the relationship between parent and child based in fear, not love.

The second example accepts the child in her development and understands that she has not learned to remain focused (this is still a problem for many 'grown' ups). This second example is a response to give assistance, not a reaction to make the child do her task. Nothing was taken away, only given (love and understanding). This response also recognizes that motivation comes from an internal state of calm, not from external fear-based rewards.

Heather Forbes

Fear inside us is revealed in what we do and in the way we do it.
Heather Forbes
When looking closer to what it means to be responsible for our children, we need to examine the word 'responsible.' The root word of responsible is response. One of Webster's definitions for response is, 'a verse, sentence, phrase, or word said or sung by the choir or congregation in reply to the officiant in a religious service.' Today, ask yourself if you are singing hymns in response to your child's behaviors or are you reacting as a protestor from the picket line?
Heather Forbes


You can sign up for these at www.beyondconsequences.com
and when they run out.... sign up again!  I believe there are 100 of them.  :)

2 comments:

Christie Minich said...

Don't know what happened to all those fonts.... and colors. LOL

NoMatterWhatMom said...

Thanks for that link. I am signing up today.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin