His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Soul Surfer

We watched this movie last night.  The girls had been wanting to see it. Now that it is out on DVD, we bought it for our collection.

It was really a good movie.  Being a mom to two girls with amputations, it was different watching this movie.  And our girls' reactions to the movie were different too.

Sarah has always had a leg missing and fingers missing. She doesn't really miss what she has never had. Even though limb loss complicates her life, she doesn't think about it much.  So when she watched the movie, she watched it through the lesns of "What would it be like to lose an arm?"  She identified with the movie more like Alli and Anna.

Erika however had a much more profound reaction to the movie.  Her feet were amputated at the age of 8. Even though her feet were painful and she couldn't walk with them very well,  every once in a while she will say something like,  "I miss my feet." Or "I miss my toes."

It is sorta funny..... I do too. I miss her feet and toes.  There was a loss. a BIG loss.  Yet there was a BIG gain!  I am thankful that she can walk today.

Limb loss, no matter the reason is still a LOSS.

One of the things we were told at camp this year was that the reaction of a person with limb loss is different if they were born with congenital limb loss vs. losing a limb at an older age. I believe this to be true.

So while Erika is thankful that she can walk, and is thankful for her prosthetic legs, she can feel the raw pain of loss.

Both girls liked the movie, even though it made Erika cry.   Her favorite part was the end, when she rides the wave inside the tube.
I think that may have been my favorite part too.  The freedom of riding a wave and seeing the Glory of God from the back side of the water, from the  inside of a waterfall. :)



4 comments:

cate said...

That is a good movie. We all like that movie too.

mommajeane said...

It was a favorite of our family too as Cate shared.

Elayne said...

They showed this movie on the plane on the way to Kauai. That is where she is from and the movie filmed. Take a look at my FB pictures from day 6, I believe. We went to church out there. see the pics of the church, we think it is the same church from the movie!

Difference2This1 said...

We watched it Saturday night. Thank you for sharing the perspective you saw from your girls. My girls don't have a limb loss, but some struggled for a bit to understand why God didn't help her. We had a good discussion on how that was actually quite otherwise and how He used this girl in many ways, including inspiring others with limb loss and other differences to follow their dreams regardless. We need to think about buying it also...it will be a good movie to remind us of these lessons.

Blessings, Jennifer

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin