His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Monday, August 29, 2011

Mom, Dad and Me Books


The other day I was thinking about what an important job it is to communicate with my girls.  Sometimes they don't ask things, because they don't want somebody else to hear their question, or they are too shy. 
I remember longing to talk with somebody when I was a young teen. There is such a need at that age to connect, to feel like you aren't alone, to be reassured!  I was such a gawkly, awkward kid at this age. I wasn't a beautiful girl.... I was taller than all the boys, skinny, and insecure. I had thoughts that were deep and grown up, and thoughts that were rather childish....

All weekend I was trying to figure out another avenue to communicate.  We take the girls out alone  1 time each month, and that is really fun! Sometimes they go alone to the grocery store, and that is fun too....but sometimes they need more.
So, I came up with a Diary of sorts. It is a 3 way diary between Mom, Dad and each of our girls.
I purchased them each a theme book, on sale for 40 cents! (score!) 

The idea is that they will write an entry each day. It doesn't have to be a question; maybe a compliment or a complaint. It could even be a poem or a serious pondering.  And then, mom and dad will write something back.

I am really looking forward to them communicating freely with both of us.  They already do for the most part, but I can tell there are times they want to say something and hold back.  I hope this will be an avenue to help them get around their shyness or awkwardness.

Today, each of my girls thoughtfully wrote something in their book, and placed them on my desk to read for later. 
It is so precious to see their words. It was clear on the very first day that this is going to be a GOOD thing! :)
And now, I need to go and ponder one of the questions! LOL



8 comments:

Designs by DD said...

That is very similar to a communication tool we were taught in Marriage Encounter. The only difference is that we had starter questions which you might want to use if the 3 way conversation falter. The questions always started with how do I feel about...
This type of question might help the girls formulate words to express their feelings. There is no right or wrong answers because feelings are not right or wrong they are just part of who we are.

Frankity said...

This is a great idea! I am an ESL teacher, so I thought you might like a journal ideas list, if anyone gets writer's block! Sorry for the weird formatting, I copied and pasted from a Word document. You may want to edit this, though. I use this with college students and adult ed.


Journal Ideas

Tell me about…
something you love.
something you hate.
something you really care about.
someone you dislike.
a dream you've had.
a goal you have.
yourself.
your childhood.
something you believe in.
a place you've visited.
an accident you've seen.
a time when you were happy.
a time when you were sad.
a time when you were excited.
a time when you were frightened.
your favorite pastime.
rainy days.
something beautiful.
something ugly.
something delicious.
something pleasant.
something boring.
something with four legs.
your education.
your work.
your friends.
a teacher you had.
a boss you had.
the hardest thing you ever had to do.
a time you lied.
something you regret.
something you are grateful for.
a mistake you made.
a success you’ve had.
someone in your family.
your favorite book.
someone you envy.
someone you admire.
something you've achieved.

Chris said...

I love that idea...esp since evenings are so crazy now w/ school started.

mommajeane said...

I love this idea too. Not sure how to implement it exactly with the number of kids we have but what a great idea.

Mike and Christie said...

Thank you all. Jeane, I was thinking maybe you could assign the kids an entry a week? or every 2 weeks? LOL
We just did 4 and it was ALOT!! girls have ALOT to say! LOL 2 of them wrote twice! Mike just finished writing them the sweetest notes. I had to hold back the tears....:)
What is with my emotions lately????ugh menopause!

BrokenWithGod said...

Hey my Mom did something like this with me when I was younger and struggled to communicate. I have had many conversations with my mom via notebook - because I didn't know how to say things out loud. Great idea!

Hevel said...

It sounds like a great idea. Kinda like the notecard swap I read about somewhere, butI like this one better. :)

Holly said...

LOVE this idea. I'm sure it will be fantastic! :)

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin