His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Amazing Books

I need to get past my toilet problems, as I am tired of staring at that glaring picture. (it looks the same in real life)

I wanted to write about 2 books that I read this week.

I have always had a deep admiration for the Amish communities in our country and the Anabaptist Heritage. Our own church has Anabaptist roots.

The Anabaptist's split into 3 main groups... The Amish, The Mennonites and the Brethren. Our church is "loosely" affiliated with Brethren; but seems more like a
regular bible church; except for women who cover their heads and our church government.

The Books I read this week had to do the with the Nickel Mine's Massacre of the Amish School Girls in Lancaster County. It was a terrible tragedy, but the books brought to light a different side of that tragedy.

The first book "The Happening", by Harvey Yoder; was a true glimplse into the personal effects of the tragedy on each family and the general community, and how the families felt about the intruding public into thier lives.

The second book was called, "Amish Grace". Its focus was on the forgiveness offered after the tragedy and how the community pulled together after unsepakable suffering.
This book was a fascinating study into what forgiveness looks like and what it is.
It is also a look into the struggle to forgive and what the Amish see as true forgiveness.

If you have an opportunity to read either of these books, I'd recommend them, especially the second one.

There were many challenges and questions and explanations into the deep issues presented in Matthew 18 and Matthew 5.

No comments:

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin