His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Seriousness Of Sin

I have to get this off of my mind and into writing right now, while it is freshly brewing. :)

I read some notes that a couple of little girls were writing during ministry group last week. One little girl said she was praying the that the other little girl wouldn't lie and would trust Jesus.

The other little girl replied, "I do trust Jesus, and Lying doesn't matter because I'm forgiven anyways."

Then, today, while teaching Sunday School, that same aloof attitude about sin came up once again. It doesn't matter if we sin, we're forgiven?

How's that?

It DOESN'T MATTER?

I sometimes think we have spoon fed our kids a different gospel. A FALSE gospel. The "Jesus Loves Me this I Know" gospel. The" God has a Wonderful Plan for Your Life and He loves you Just the Way you Are", veggie tale gospel.

It DOESN'T MATTER?

Are you kidding me?

That attitude, that false truth, is an affront to the Very Gospel of Jesus Christ!

What are we teaching our kids? ARE we teaching our kids?

I think sometimes as 2nd and 3rd and 4th generation Christians, we can do a poor job in helping our children understand their true condition, because many of us don't understand OUR true condition apart from Christ.

I remember as a young person, thinking, "I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I don't have pre=marital sex", I believe Jesus died for me, I'm ok....

WRONG....

Jesus doesn't want us to be just "ok". And what I really didn't choose to look at was my heart attitudes. I was a white washed seplicher full of dead men's bones.
I think of the words in the scripture that say, "I'd rather you be hot or cold, but you are lukewarm and I will SPEW you out of my mouth!" How's that for an after lunch thought?

Our TRUE condition is poor, and hungry and naked. We are DEAD, HELLO, D-E-A-D! apart from Christ. He comes to give us LIFE and LIFE ABUNDANTLY.

How do we have life in Christ, if we haven't even recognized the very thing in ourselves that He died for? How DARE we take His gift so lightly.

It is our job as parents to give these truths to our children. Not just our job, but a COMMAND in Scripture.
Deuteronomy 6:7-8

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart:
You shall teach them diligently to your children and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise.


During this very special time of year, where we Celebrate the Death and Resurrection of our Lord Jesus. Let's make sure that we are able to help our children understand the Gospel. The GOOD news.

Let's also take part in the NEW LIFE He has given to us. Here and NOW. It isn't a "die and go to heaven" gospel! It is a DIE AND BECOME ALIVE in CHRIST, walking in newsness of life NOW gospel. It is a "flee from pride and sin and immorality" INTO the loving arms of our Lord kind of Gospel.

Let's die to self and be alive in Christ. It is an exciting life. It is not dull. It is not burndensome.

It is true Eternal LIFE.

2 comments:

Melissa E. said...

I was listening to a Christian talk show the other day and the host was pointing out something that I, as a 2nd generation Christian, hadn't thought of exactly this way despite the fact that I am used to talking to non-Christians. It's about how Christianity and its message looks to the world:

If we, as Christians tell others the story like this: Jesus loves you...accept his gift...easy...peace...etc.
then we are missing a hugely important piece of information! THE REASON!
The fact that we all are rotten and despicable! We have NO inherent value just because we think we should have. We all deserve destruction.

The problem is, this is offensive and gets left out of or at least is quickly passed over in the "new", "friendly" gospel which only talks about Love. But how loving would it be if the gospel were just about God just making up some secret password to get in to heaven? --Ha ha! You didn't say "Jesus"! Off to Hell with you! --It isn't just like buying a ticket to a show; it's more like receiving a Presidential pardon from a death sentence!

The truth is, the beauty of the Gospel doesn't make sense without the ugly part; and accepting Him doesn't make sense without the love part. If we don't even try to live to please Him then maybe it's at least partly because we don't understand how much we owe Him.

Now it makes more sense to me when non-Christians say stuff like, "How could a loving God send people to Hell just because they don't know Jesus?" It's because we haven't fully explained the Gospel. It occurs to me that our attempts not to turn people off may sometimes do just that.

I enjoyed reading this post. I worry that the "seriousness of sin" has been downplayed so much that the love of John 3:16 has begun to sound hollow.

And also, I immediately think of two verses:

"What then? Shall we sin because we are not under Law but under grace? By no means!"

and:

"You believe in God? Good! Even the Demons believe in God...and tremble!"

Ok, I don't know if I rambled too much and that doesn't make any sense anymore but all that to say, I agree. :-)

christie said...

Thanks for your Post Melissa. :)

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin