His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

So What IS Love Anyway?

This was the question I posed to Miss Alli today.  Her answer? I don't know.  She has heard people say, "I love you."  She has heard it spoken in movies, she has heard it spoken in our home.  And her answer is exactly what I thought she'd say.... because we only have 1 word in our language that we typically use for Love.... It is LOVE.  And in her case: It has never lasted. :(

But for many, love simply means "I like you", I like what you do for ME, or I want something FROM you....
And then we hear the words "All You Need Is Love" da da da da da..... what kind of love? Phileo? The friendship kind?  Agape'- the eternal kind?  Arros, the lovey dovey kind?  What Kind?

So, back to the question at hand.  What is Love?  What does it mean when I say to Alli, "I LOVE YOU!"  Does it mean that I love her just as she is? Does it mean that I accept her just as she is?  Yes and Yes... but there is more. Love wants MORE than that. Love doesn't want us to be stagnant but to grow. Love is the water poured into another's life so they CAN grow and heal.
God's LOVE for us was so great that he Sent HIS SON TO DIE.... so we would not be stagnant in our sin, but we would heal.  This is the kind of love we should have for one another; laying our lives down  and putting them aside for another. This kind of love can only come from God.

Love denies oneself for the benefit of another.  Love does not consider it's own needs above those of another.  Love does not run off to get away.  Instead..... Love faces, embraces and WINS!  Love meets the needs of another head on.  Love is a well that doesn't run dry.  Love causes another's cup to be full to overflowing.... and continues to pour the refreshing waters into their dry and parched soul even when they don't understand it or receive it....Love continues, joyfully. 

The Word Love is an action word. It is a VERB... it shows itself in many, many ways, but the best I can put it, is:  Love ALWAYS does what is the VERY BEST for the OTHER person. LOVE puts OTHERS FIRST.  LOVE DOES NOT DOUBT.  LOVE HOPES, ENDURES, BELIEVES..... and IT NEVER,EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, GIVES UP....EVER, EVER, EVER.  LOVE NEVER FAILS.

So, Miss Alli, and to all of my children.... When I say, "I LOVE You".... it isn't cliche', it isn't shallow. It means.... well..... I LOVE YOU A WHOLE HECK OF A BUNCH! :)









1 comment:

Kelly said...

Wonderful post. Love is hard to explain but you did a beautiful job. :)

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin