His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oral Reading



One of the things we love to do at our house is to read a story together out loud. It is a great habit to get into, because we can learn to read with expression out loud, and mom can tell if we are going through "stop signs" (not stopping at a period) speeding through caution signs (commas) and being bland when there is something to get excited about! (exclamation point) Also, do we read a question like a sentence?
This oral practice is very good for ALL of us!
AND.... it is FUN.

Last year we read Noel Streatfield's books, "Ballet Shoes, Theater Shoes, Dancing Shoes and Party Shoes." We also read C.S. Lewis's "The Magician's Nephew".

This year, we are starting with C.S. Lewis's "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe."
We plan to finish the Chronicles of Narnia Series this year.

We read 20 minutes every day before lunch, and sometimes we even illustrate what we have read in the afternoons.

What books are you reading this year?

4 comments:

Melissa E. said...

Our Max is just starting to be interested in reading chapter books. He has read two but I figure that he gets about 40% of the story, at least, judging by other reading he does.
Anyway, all that to ask-- what are the books you have mentioned before that your family has loved? I think they were about a cowboy or something western or country-ish. I am thinking they might interest him.

We also have been working on not reading like robots. :-) Reading aloud really lets you know if the child is comprehending as well as saying the words, doesn't it?

Mike and Christie said...

I believe you are talking about "Hank The Cow Dog".....
Here is a link to the official website.:)
http://www.hankthecowdog.com/

We discovered these a long time ago when our boys were young. They are great for reluctant or remedial readers. They also have story CD's so you can get to know the characters.
John Ericson spoke at our Home school conference 2 years ago. The girls just loved him, he is so funny. I couldn't stop laughing, because Hank's voice, is his REAL voice and I always thought he was faking it. :)

Melissa E. said...

That's it! Thanks!

Claire said...

I really like Edith Nesbit's books. You can listen to "The Story of the Amulet" until Sunday on the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tn4p7/E_Nesbit_The_Story_of_the_Amulet/ all of their radio broadcasts are available worldwide for a week after airing.

The Chrestomanci seris by Diana Wynne Jones is also one of my favourites.

If you want to listen to more stories or even volunteer to record them for the website then try www.librivox.org It has a large collection of free audio books that are out of copy write. They are all read by volunteers and they are always looking for new ones too.

Happy Reading!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin