His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Friday, September 17, 2010

Language Arts Woes


I'm trying to find humor in this today. I am grading papers for language arts. Now I realize that the curriculum we are using isn't easy, but.... if nobody asks questions when I ask if they have any, I'm going to assume they are understanding. So, since I was sick yesterday, I didn't grade anything. When I looked at what was turned in today, I must say, my temperature went up abit! ugh!!!!

1. Erika was supposed to circle all words in a paragraph that required capitalization.
The paragraph had no capitalization or punctuation. After circling each word, she was supposed to write it down, and then say WHY you capitalize it.
Her answer:
You always capitalize the first word of each sentence. The others you capitalize because you are just supposta! SUPPOSTA???? LOL She had the correct words circled, but her definition was defective!

2.Anna: Directions said to read "My Evening Prayer", (copied in her book), and then to write a 3rd stanza for the poem with the same rhyme scheme and rhythm.
"Mom, I need to use the computer." Why? I need to find the 3rd stanza for this poem.... Ummm Anna, you are supposed to write it yourself...."How can I do that? I don't know what it is! LOL

3. Sarah: She is learning about rhyme schemes and rhythm. Is the poem, iambic, anapestic, trochaic, dactylic... they explain it pretty clearly using DUMM-de--de
etc.
Her first poem was "Dum-de-Dum-Dum.... LOL
NOT!

Needless to say, we will be repeating these lessons for next week until we get them correct. :)

2 comments:

:)De said...

Ha Ha Ha... it sounds like the essay I graded that needed to 150 words where I am guessing that only 30 of the words had anything to do with the subject at hand... the other 120 were lots of articles and adjectives. tsk tsk tsk. LOL!

mommajeane said...

I am just smiling here. We started our first full week of school and it is nice to know that I am not the only one whose children have to repeat lessons.We have had an odd first week though with lots of distractions.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin