His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, March 23, 2013

FIVE YEARS OLD??? SAYS WHO???


I remember when I was a young mother reading parenting books. One in particular stated that if a child isn't Disciplined and correction in place by the age of FIVE years old, it would be a huge problem.  They inferred "it is too late".
This person said the personality and character of a child are developed by FIVE!

I cannot tell you how WRONG THIS IS!

The personality a person has THEY ARE BORN WITH! 
The trauma they experience may certainly have a huge effect on them, but that is not because they are OVER or UNDER FIVE years of age and FIVE is NOT this magical age where somebody is able to change if they are under five, or not if they are over five.  This kind of GARBAGE information is damaging to Children, and ESPECIALLY damaging to waiting orphans whose future parents might decide against adopting somebody older.

Consider the scripture:SAUL became the Apostle PAUL in his adulthood and his life changed forever.
ALL of the disciples were over FIVE!
Doubting Thomas, doubted no more!
Mary Magdalene was changed inside and out!
The demoniac was delivered and changed!
Abram became Abraham!
There are TOO MANY life changes to mention!

So why would somebody say FIVE is the magic age?  I HONESTLY DO NOT KNOW!

Children are children and THINK like children.  They are NOT mini adults.
If they have been neglected and abused, those life experiences will certainly have an affect upon them whether they are 6 months or 6 years; but it is NOT OVER at FIVE!

Adopting older children has been one of the most rewarding things in our lives!  Watching our daughters go from NEGLECT/FEAR to NURTURE/LOVE...... Amazing!

We have had a wonderful day today just watching them blossom.  They played, created and just had such a great day.

I do not understand how ANYBODY could say that an older child cannot change.  

NOT ONLY CAN THEY.... We have FOUR in THIS household from ALL DIFFERENT backgrounds, countries and traumas,  who are THRIVING!

It is NOT LUCK... IT IS NO ACCIDENT.

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE HEALS, UNCONDITIONALLY!

2 comments:

Erin Kaine said...

I agree. I think they will continue to learn and grow each year as new events arrive. I have never liked magic numbers. Each child I'd different with there own personalities that are added to or changed for the rest of their life. And no one I know has the same personality as the did at 5.

JJ said...

Interestingly, the Chinese treat their children like princes and princesses UNTIL they turn 5. Before 5 there is very little discipline. Hmmm...

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin