His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Putting Off and Putting On


In our morning devotions we are studying Colossians.  Today we covered chapter 3.  It was an obvious "overview" because it is so full of rich, wonderful, theology.  As we were reading, we had to stop every couple of verses and just discuss the richness of the text.

As we were reading  the wording " PUT OFF" and "PUT ON" ,  a picture came into my mind of clothing.  We put on clothing and take it off.  I thought that maybe the girls would remember our devotion better with a little art project.  :)

Today, we are making clothing closets.  The clothing in the closets  will be the things we should "Put On".  They will be labeled with love, patience, kindness, humility, meekness, forgiveness, etc.
Then, we will have "bad will" bags.... (can't be good will, because we shouldn't give bad things to good will :)  )    In those bags we will put the things we are to "put off"; the things we no longer wear ....  sexual immorality, impurity, passion (out of control emotions) evil desire, covetousness, idolatry, hatred, anger, wrath, malice, obscene speech, etc.

I talked to the girls about how we have a "Spiritual Closet" full of things to choose from each day when we wake up.  We can choose to put on anger, or we can choose to put on kindness.  But putting on anger is like putting on a Parka on a summer day.  It just doesn't fit into life very well. It is uncomfortable.
To put on lying is like wearing a swim suit on a winter day!  It exposes us!

But to put on kindness and compassion is like wearing a warm sweater and sitting by a comfy fire on a cold winters day.  It warms our hearts and brings us joy.  To put on LOVE is to freely glide through the water in our swim wear, feeling the cool water splash over us on a warm summer's day.

Some of us change our "spiritual clothes" several times a day.  Me included.  It is time to clean out our "spiritual closets" and get rid of the things we should not put on.  They are out of season!  Some things are NEVER in season. :)

Each day,  we need to choose to put on the things that bring us closer to Christ, and purposefully turn away from the things that don't.   We need to work heartily, as unto the Lord in ALL that we do, because it is from the LORD that we receive our inheritance and reward.   

What a blessing it was to be encouraged this morning by sweet girls intently listening and taking to heart our devotion. 

So the Art project has ensued. :)   And we have a couple of VERY EXCITED girls who just adore art.  And they are working on those projects as unto the Lord.  :)

What will you choose to put on today?

Added:  Here  are some photos of the girl's closets.
 


 Anna's closet
 The unwanted clothing
 Alli's are labeled but you can't see the labels. She has a pull out drawer for getting rid of the unwanted wardrobe. :)

 This is Sarah's   She designed all her clothers and labeled them.  (the big dress says compassion at the bottom.  Each dress was labeled. 

4 comments:

Pompeii Penguin said...

These are definitely words to live by for everyone, everyday we should be trying to exemplify good we have in ourselves and curb the bad mind frames that we can get stuck in.

I really do enjoy reading about how God and Faith shape how you approach situation that come up in everyday life.

I don't have any children, I'm only in my twenties myself, but a lot you your posts are applicable to my everyday life as well.

Thank you and god bless.

:)De said...

wonderful post and sounds like on par with what we are studying too. I love the art project... I may have to emulate. Our spiritual wardrobe is so befitting for "Kingdom Living" (which is what we have been studying about.)

Have fun. Hope you show some of the finished products.

Mike and Christie said...

De, I wish we were neighbors! LOL
It is fun watching them work on these.
Anna just finished hers and it is cute. :)
Sarah and Alli will probably take a while, they are designing clothing. LOL
Erika just started.... I'll probably put pics up tomorrow. :)

Milena said...

Such a nice idea! I think it may make it so much easier for children to understand what to "wear" ! Thank you for sharing your idea!

And the girls' wardrobes are so sweet, so different from each other yet all so nice. Good job!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin