His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Saving Aesha

 (photo from google)

You can read the long story about Aesha here.
She is the young lady from the cover of time magazine who is from Afghanistan.  Yes, I did say young lady.  She is 22.  She came for reconstructive surgery, but that surgery cannot happen, yet.  WHY?  Because Aesha is more like a 3 year old than a 22 year old.

I have never seen a clearer picture of what trauma can do to a person, and  how it can cause them to be stuck emotionally where the initial trauma began.  This tells me, that most likely her entire life has been one of trauma. 

She was sold off to the taliban to settle a dispute along with her little sister (the article said baby sister, I sure hope that isn't true) , where there were 10 brothers.   She never even met her husband, because he was fighting a war.  The first time she met him, was when he disfigured her face for running away.  

Aesha has gone from family to family and has gone through something like 11 roommates.  She is difficult and extremely needy.  She climbs in her roommates lap for affection, just like that of a small child. 
Heart breaking......

Trauma knows no boundaries.  There are broken people all over this world who have experienced the unspeakable, and may never recover.

I am so thankful for those who understand trauma, and have been able to share their expertise so that those of us who live with the fallout of childhood trauma  each and every day, can facilitate true and lasting healing. 

This article just made me want to give my kids a hug.  I pray that Aesha's helpers come to understand her real needs and that she will very much need to be accepted as a 3 year old before she can be 22.



1 comment:

Muddled Muse said...

I was reading this yesterday and it is frightening how this kind of cruelty can exist. It reminds me of how inordinately blessed I am to have grown up in a secure country - never knowing war - and a secure family - never knowing this kind of abuse. I take it for granted too often. My heart really goes out to these young women.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin