His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Sunday, September 18, 2011

What a Wonderful Day and A Message

It was such a nice day... We had a wonderful time at Worship, and then went out to a family dinner with a great coupon. All six of us ate for 11.00! :)

Alli and I went to the grocery store and had a really great time. She was happy and talkative.  She shared a few things that she remembered from Russia; some pleasant, some not so pleasant. And then she helped me putting things in the grocery cart.   I love it when kids get excited about simple things like "Fruit Roll Ups". :)

On the way home she said, "Mama, I love being a kid."
I can really tell she is enjoying just being a child. And seeing her smile and receiving her hugs just melts my heart. :)

The purpose for this blog is to help others who are in the adoption community, or about to be, either through adoption or a relative adopting.  It is also just about family life and all sorts of other things thrown in. :)
In other words, it is sharing OUR life with you!  I do my best to keep things honest and not be too rosy or too bleak.  If I post ROSEY, it is true. If I post drama, it is true.   But the reasons for posting are to help those who may need insight AND because I love to do it.  It is a release for me too. :)

I received a private message today from somebody who said, after reading my blog, they did not feel they were going to be able to adopt.  They don't believe they have what it takes.  I am saddened,yet at the same time, I am thankful for a potential adoptive parent who is seriously counting the cost, both for herself, her family and the potential child.
Adoption, as many will say, is NOT for the faint of heart, but it is also not for the perfect, as there is NO BODY ON THIS PLANET that is perfect.
However, I DO believe that there is a RIGHT SEASON for adoption.
Maybe it isn't the right TIME to adopt, but that does not mean it isn't for you at all!
We did not adopt until our youngest son was 20 years old.  That means we raised our 4 sons and then we adopted our 4 daughters.  We adopted them separately, over a period of 7 years.   We have learned a lot along the way.
One of my favorite lines from Martian Child is in the beginning of the movie when a lady is walking with the main character and they are discussing adoption.  She makes the statement, "Most people put more effort into how to raise tomato plants than they do in raising their kids."  That line cracked me up.
I don't know that it is true....but there is no room for that blindness when it comes to bringing hurt children into our homes.

I hope I did not cause anguish or scare off a potential adoptive parent by being too bleak lately.
At the same time, I think this person has really been weighing the cost, and has decided this is not the time.
I hope she comes back to adopt in a different season of life. :)  I bet she will be a great parent.

I DO BELIEVE with ALL MY HEART that LOVE NEVER, EVER< EVER< EVER< EVER FAILS.....EVER.
And the broken heart can be made whole.  The joy of being a part of that process, though difficult sometimes, where self examination is deep and life changing.....and being in a circumstance that causes us to cling to the Lord, is PRICELESS and RAW AND REAL and I wouldn't change it for ANYTHING.  :) 
I believe we are right where God wants us to be.  And I am full of joy today because my 4 little girls have a happy and secure home and they are orphans no more. :)
That is something to rejoice over.


3 comments:

Kelly said...

For what it's worth, it took us six years to make the decision to adopt after it first came up. It was not the right season for us.

Grace has been home nine months. At the two month mark I would have told you, "never again."

Now, I would tell you, "all over again." It is hard to raise a hurt child, no doubt. But ultimately, so worth it.

Nothing, I mean nothing, you do will ever have more meaning. My heart is filled to the brim and overflowing with happiness and joy, even though some days have been hard.

I respect the family for being honest and counting the costs. It is not for everyone to adopt and there are many ways to jump in and help regardless.

Joyce said...

I think that person is really wise. You are right - it is not for the faint of heart. I am so grateful that you share this blog. I have learned so much (I have 1 adopted daughter, age 6). We have had a rocky relationship that is healing. You have helped me to learn how to connect with her better. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Joyce

Mike and Christie said...

Joyce, thank you for your kind words. :)

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin