His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Labor Day Weekend

Today is the traditional day for house cleaning. People stay home from their regular jobs, so they can clean closets, and get rid of extra "stuff", in preparation for winter. :)
Today is the day for clean sheets and at the end, we get to have a BBQ!
We are having BBQ Brisket and Pulled Pork for dinner tonight. YUM....

I love Labor Day Weekend. It is that feeling of Fall, even though it is still warm.
It reminds me of newly sharpened pencils.... the smell of new text books, fresh paper.
Ahhh. Fall is coming!

Our weekend has been peaceful and restful, but we got a late start. We had some other responsibilities that lasted until Saturday afternoon. So starting on Saturday evening we started to celebrate. We had a special movie, and the girls started playing with Lincoln Logs.
I just love the Lincoln Logs they have. We purchased them from Lehman's Non Electric Catalogue about 3 years ago, and they still bring endless hours of creativity. One great thing about them, is they are flat instead of round, so they don't fall so easily.
Here are a few creations:

A man chopping wood, and his wood pile neatly stacked.


A man coming out of the door of his home.

Children (pawns) lined up to go upstairs to their bedroom

A man training a horse (lego horse)

Very cool dining room furniture and a firplace with a cookstove


The girlies asked to keep their creations up so they could keep playing with them. It is ok, as they were in the area they were supposed to be.
But on Sunday A.M. before church, Sarah added to her area, and it went into the traffic area of the living room, where everybody walks through. She was so into creating and she wasn't noticing that we were having to step over her creations which would be impossible for Erika.

I let her know that it was not ok, (have let her know this before) to place blocks in that area. We are getting ready for church, and it isn't safe.
I was a little surprised when she got upset saying, "But then I'll have to move everything and take it down!"
I said, "Yes, you will, but you know you aren't supposed to have it here!"

Then came the famous, "But I forgot!" LOL

So I asked her, "Sarah, do you want us all to walk out the front door to the back door to get to the kitchen so you can keep your special creation?"
The look on her face said, "Well, that is a possibility!" LOL
She didn't word it, but I could tell she was thinking it.

At that point daddy said, "You need to put your creation away." When your creation becomes more important to you than the safety of your family, and you are willing to be selfish for your own desires, it is wrong."

She tearily put them away. And then we talked with her about her attitude, and what is most important in life.

She was back to her cheery self within a few minutes and said she was very sorry.

On the way to church, I asked, double checking, "did everybody brush their teeth?
Yes, yes and Yes! Sarah said, "I have it on my checklist!"
So I said, "Can you remember to put "happy attitude" on your check list for tomorrow?"
and we all got a good laugh. :)

2 comments:

hadassahrose said...

Love the Lincoln log creations. :)

I found your blog while hopping from one to another.

Peace.

Mike and Christie said...

Thanks for visiting!

We had a great weekend. I mowed our acre; part riding mower, part regular mower. BBQ'd a brisket and pork, made potato salad and got the clothing separated for winter/goodwill/save for next year....what a job.
All was a good productive day.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin