His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Incredibly Loud & Extremely Close: A Movie Review

We never really heard of this movie, but it looked interesting, so we picked it up for 5 bucks.  It is rated PG 13, but it is intense and not for children.

The movie is from a little boy's perspective and how he views the world.  His name is Osckar. 
He is 11 years old and his father was killed in the 9/11 Twin Towers Terrorist Attack.

The director of this movie was BRILLIANT.   The movie was heart breaking and at the very same time when you couldn't take the sadness, it was profoundly funny.  

Why am I writing a post on it?  Because if you watch it carefully, you will see that Osckar is not an average little boy.  He is special.  He says several times he is full of fears, and that he is different.  He was tested for Asperger's Syndrome and "the tests came back inconclusive. "  But if you watch this movie through the lens of Autism Spectrum Disorder....it is a REALLY fascinating move about parents who LOVED their son and worked with him to make him the best he could be.

The movie shows the dysfunctional lives that Osckar encounters while trying to find the answer to a mysterious key.

It is intertwined with grief, strained relationships, humor, and a view on  we connect to each other as a society.

I found this movie to be an  amazing jewel.  It is a must see for parents who have children by birth or adoption, who have special needs, either because of trauma or because they are just the way they are.

Great performances by Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock and the little boy did AMAZING in his first acting performance. 

****Warning, there is some language and there is a disturbing scene of him pinching himself to try to get rid of the pain and then there are scenes from 9/11. *****

I won't tell the end, but let's just say it is amazing.    

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Thanks for the recommendation. My husband and I watched this movie today. It was so good. We both cried!

Christie Minich said...

So glad you liked it.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin