His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Monday, November 17, 2008

Gramma Doris 1915-2008



Isn't this a beautiful picture of Gramma Doris? She was Mike's Gramma and Mike's Dad's Mom. She was also one of the sweetest grammas I have ever met. The first time I met her she flew to Dallas with Aunt Judy and stayed on our roll away couch back in 1989. It was fun to visit with her over night and meet both her and Judy. Our air conditioner was not working at the time and it was summer. She didn't complain! The next time we met, our boys were a little older and we went to Michigan for Thanksgiving. She was quite a card player, her favorite being bridge.
She was still living alone in her home during that visit.

Five years later, just Mike and I went up for a visit, and that was one of my favorite visits. We went to a birthday dinner with Noelle and Bob and I think Judy was on her way.... Noelle had to leave to answer a phone call and Gramma Doris leaned in and said, "Let me give you some advice now... when you get old like me, confess NOTHING, they will hold it against you!"
That was the week she lost her right to drive for good. She was becoming a bit of a danger on the road, and seemed to have a knack for running into police cars.
I will never forget that dinner. She was so funny, but so serious.

The next time we went to Thanksgiving, Gramma was much more frail. That was 3 years ago. She was starting to use a walker all the time and had moved to an assisted living home, near Aunt Judy. I'm glad we were able to see her again, and that Anna and Sarah could meet her. Unfortunately, Erika was not able to meet her.

One sad part of family life is that relatives get spread around in the U.S. and we don't get to be as involved with each other as we would like. Living in Texas makes it very hard to keep up with those in other states. We have relatives from one coast to the other.

Gramma died, and we are sad that she is gone. Death is such a final thing this side of heaven's gate. There are always so many things left we could have done, but the time is gone and the day is over. This chapter of her life is closed, but we know that there will be a new chapter opened as she goes into the arms of her Heavenly Father and He says, "Welcome, good and faithful servant!" "Welcome to your new home."

Here is a link to Gramma's Obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/Link.asp?I=LS000120370874X

4 comments:

mommajeane said...

Thanks for sharing about a wonderful lady.. grief is bittersweet but made oh so better knowing she is in the arms of Jesus.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful photo capturing both Gramma Doris' outer AND inner spiritual beauty! How wonderful to know that Gramma Doris is Heaven-healed and worshiping our Savior face-to-face!

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to lift up your family during this time. I know that Mike and the family will miss Gramma Doris. We will be praying that those who knew Gramma Doris will be comforted.

May your thoughts dwell on your many happy memories of her.

Julie

Debbie said...

She sounds like she was a special lady. Love the photo of her. I'm glad you all have fond memories of her and will see her again one day!

Anonymous said...

Oh, she reminds me of my Gran. She also passed away at 93. I still miss her like crazy. Your family is in my prayers. Even though I know they have lived a long life it doesn't make it easier to have to say good bye. Don't know if you will be heading up for the services, but it's cold here so pack warm. Miss you on FRUA.

Fenton

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin