His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The "Live It" Plan

I wrote here about my latest Dr. appt. and what I need to do to make changes that are lasting.
I actually started my "Live it",  4 days before my appt.  
After doing a little research on arthritis, I have found that eating "night shades" is a no-no. 
I had heard this before, but wasn't aware of how many foods were actual night shades.

So now, besides being gluten and dairy free, I am also going to need to be night shade free, which means, no more tomatoes, potatoes or peppers.  I need to check if that means all peppers or just a few different types.  I thought this would be really hard because I adore peppers and onions sauteed and put over rice.

Last week I had tomato sauce, and juiced bell peppers, but non this week.  I thought it would be hard, but so far, it isn't.
Juicing is fun. I just don't like the cleanup part, however the chickens LOVE it. :) 
Does anybody use the pulp from juicing to make into something else? 

I wonder if it can be made into pesto?

Last night I was experimenting because Spaghetti was on the menu.  I have never tried pesto before.
But I figured I have nothing to lose and need to try some new things!
To my delight, it was delicious!!!!  Even Mike liked it and he is cautious about trying new things.
I was scouring recipes over the internet and many call for cheese.  I just left the cheese out.

I came up with a really good pesto by using
1/2 bunch fresh basil, 1/4 cup walnuts, 1 TLB of freshly minced garlic, 1/4 small zucchini shredded, kelp granules, 1-2 TLB olive oil and a little water to thin it out.
I put it in the blender and it came out wonderful!  I used it over my rice noodles for my spaghetti and everybody else tasted it and liked it. :)

AND, it is GOOD for you. :)

The next thing to eliminate or GREATLY reduce is corn.   I don't believe there is any corn available that has not been Genetically Modified.

After just a few days of no night shades, and a week and a couple of weeks of juicing, my arthritis is starting to calm down.  Now that COULD be coincidence, but I am wondering if it is.  I was in so much pain I could barely do the treadmill.  Today, I walked over a mile in 16 minutes and I didn't have pain. 

I feel better and am hoping that when I go back to the Dr. my cholesterol levels will be back in the normal range and I will have better and continued range of motion.

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Our whole family is gluten, cow milk, soy, and chemical free. Our daughter Kristina also cannot handle tomatoes, potatoes, or peppers. I didn't realize those foods were related. I just observed her reactions to them. I will have to research nightshades now!

My Mom takes 1 tbsp of organic apple cider vinegar every day for her arthritis and her "trigger thumb." it has helped A LOT. She mixes it in a glass of water and drinks it.

Mike and Christie said...

Brooke, I like apple cider vinegar. Braggs make a good brand.

I am also researching how to cook or bake with zero sugars using natural fruit instead. I found an interesting site that says puree fruit and substitute even amounts.
They also suggest dicing dried fruits to add to things.
I'm trying to get ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas so our relatives can enjoy some special treats.

Claire said...

Christie, you've reminded me to try harder with foods which aid or aggravate lupus. Here are some good recipes for baking with fruit, I'm sure you can alter the to be GF, I've made good vegan versions.

Brooke said...

Are you able to handle Agave Nectar as a sugar substitute? I can't handle sugar very well-- I get headaches. Kristina can't handle sugar--it's like pouring rocket fuel into her already active little body. We can both handle Agave nectar. Kristina also doesn't tolerate many fruits. She only does well with pineapple, pears, mangoes, and blueberries. I'm hoping that her digestive system will heal to the point where we can add more fruit varieties.

Mike and Christie said...

Brooke, we have agave nectar, but I really don't care for it. Erika uses it in her tea.

Claire, where are the recipes? :)

Claire said...

Oops! Here: http://lowgicooking.com/tag/baking-powder/

The chocolate and pear cake is awesome!

N:B These are Australian cups.

Chris said...

hmmm, I don't ache that bad, but I do hurt...but man, what do you eat besides potatoes? You'd think we were Irish.
Yeah, since we are soon 1/2 Chinese in this house...more rice. Guess I need to check this out.

Mike and Christie said...

Chris, I read an article today that was encouraging. It said that not everybody is night shade sensitive and the only way to know is to give up night shades for 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference. If not, then you can have night shades as they are also full of antioxidents.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin