His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Rod And Staff And Alli

One of the reasons I truly LOVE, yes LOVE Rod and Staff curriculum has to do with the seriousness that they take education.  They are no nonsense and straight forward, but NOT boring!

Today, it was such poetic timing for Miss Alli.  She was stretched a bit a LOT working on a summary of our field trip.   She didn't spell things well and then when she needed to correct for a final draft, she was not a happy camper.  This wound up being her THIRD draft!

BUT..... the next lesson was Language Arts.  She opened her book and the ENTIRE lesson was on doing one's best!  It explained the REASON for studying hard and doing your best. And then, when she turned the page there was a scripture of encouragement!  She was so encouraged.  Her handwriting changed from a sloppy mess: to something really nice! :)
 
 And then tonight, she decided it was time to stop picking her fingers! :)  Way to go girl!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Last year I took a course called "Research Based Strategies for Education" and one of the strategies which is backed by research is to teach children that success requires HARD WORK! I think they are right when they say that for some reason schools have stopped doing this. The emphasis is for teachers to try and make everything interesting, and involving and so forth - which I think is perfectly right - except the result is that if we are not careful, we try to keep the need for dogged, hard work a dirty secret. In fact, I honesty think that sometimes kids get the idea that if they have to work hard, and slave away - something is wrong with them.

Anastasia is going to be doing K-12 on-line school. I am probably going to be teaching Ilya English (intensively) and Math, and more or less skipping other subjects. Would Rod and Staff have any material which would be useful for a mature, but remedial, English student?

mommajeane said...

I recognize that bandaid method. We have some here who have done that. Way to go Alli. I look forward to seeing your beautiful nails.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin