His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Gluten Free- Night Shade Free- Dairy Free Pizza......

A friend told me about a recipe for an alternative to tomato based pizza sauce.  I checked out the recipe, but didn't like how some of the ingredients were put together......

So I started to experiment....

I came up with a pizza sauce that I like. I could not tell it wasn't tomato based.... and neither could my family.

I used 1 small beet, roasted and shredded.  1 small carrot shredded.  I sauteed the carrot in some olive oil until it was tender, and added the beet and all these spices.
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Basil
Salt
Pepper
(all to taste)
I put it all in a blender and blended it to death. :)  And added water for better consistency.... ( to make it more spreadable)

The Pizza dough is easy.....

1 1/3 cup hot water
a packet of yeast
1 tsp sugar
mix all together and let it sit.

Add.... 1 tsp xantham gum
to 2 cups of brown rice flour and 1 cup of tapioca flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 TLB sugar
Mix all together.... and knead until very well kneaded...
about 5 minutes by hand....
Roll in olive oil and cover to let sit and rise

Spread in well greased pizza pan.
bake at 400º for about 10 minutes.

After baking...
Add sauce, any toppings you like (that you can have)
and then add Rice Cheese.
I like the Mozarella rice cheese. It is very good.

Bake at 400º for about 20 minutes or until everything is nice, hot melted and the crust is duly browned. :)

I have not had pizza since last September because of a Night shade issue... ( no tomatoes, potatoes, or peppers of any kind ( except pepper corns)  no eggplant, or paprika)
This was so fun to have once again! :)
I really love experimenting!

If you try it, drop a line and let me know! :)
ENJOY!!!!!!

11 comments:

Fatcat said...

Please, tell me more about the nightshade issues. I'm gluten free, I'm working on gradually (too gradually) going dairy free. What problems do nightshades cause?

Lu said...

Delicious!! Loved it! Thanks for the recipe (:

Annie said...

I'd like to drop in some time and try some.... It looks good, but that's hard to believe.

Christie Minich said...

Fatcat, Night shades can cause problems in some people with inflamation. I had constant issues with Arthritis and my joints were swollen all the time. I had so much pain in my hands that it was awful. Also pain in neck, back , hips, knees, and my feet felt like they were broken every morning.

I was studying what to do because I was having to wear braces on my hands at night due to waking up in extreme pain.

So, what I found out was that nightshades can cause inflamation. The leaves are poison, and that poison is in the fruit of the plant.
If you are sensitive to it, it can cause auto immune problems like Arthritis!
I tried going off and within 5 days there was a notable difference. It has been nearly a year, and I have had minimal pain, usually when accidently ingesting a night shade. :/
You can find more information here:
http://noarthritis.com/
and there are plenty of other places too.
It is not hard staying off them when I feel so good!

Christie Minich said...

Lu, so glad you tried it and liked it! :)

Christie Minich said...

Annie, I am amazed at the taste. I plan to use it also as a spaghetti type sauce. :)

Izzy Abue said...

Hi, and if I may suggest that instead of Garlic Powder and Onion Powder, it's geat to use real garlic and onion. As I'm from the Mediterranean, these two are staple in my diet and I somehow distrust "powders" as they usually have chemical stuff.

Izzy Abue said...

Hi, and if I may suggest that instead of Garlic Powder and Onion Powder, it's geat to use real garlic and onion. As I'm from the Mediterranean, these two are staple in my diet and I somehow distrust "powders" as they usually have chemical stuff.

MamaV said...

Night shades are so yummy... I am sad that they make you feel bad, but happy that you have great alternative recipes!

Fatcat said...

Okay, I'm trying the nightshade free thing for my joint pain. I went gluten free almost 4 years ago and my joint pain and almost all my ailments went away, but then this winter, I started having more and more joint pain again, really bad, so I could barely walk. I was eating tomatoes and potatoes at pretty much every meal and wasn't aware this could be an issue at all until you posted this pizza recipe.

I started trying to eliminate them on Monday. Here's my question though, if they are in a recipe, can I just pick them out? I've got some beef stir fry cooking right now for the kids when they get home from VBS and the stir fry veggies I had bought previously have red peppers in them. Can I just pick them out, or do I need to avoid the recipe entirely, as I would with gluten?

Thanks in advance for mentoring me on this new diet change.

Christie Minich said...

I try to avoid it just like night shades.
Be careful also of hidden ingredients in foods. If it says "natural flavors" or "spices" and is not specific, it might contain a night shade.
I hope you feel better!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin