His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Monday, July 29, 2013

PROVISION

 Now Really.... ! Who is Providing???

An area in my personal life that I struggle with is God's provision.  It seems silly, living in the richest country in the world, and worrying about God's provision.

But even in America, you can be poor, and you can struggle greatly with having enough for basic food, clothing, utilities and housing.

This was my life a long time ago.  There were many days that I did not eat so my children could.  Sometimes we didn't have the money to keep the utilities on. We struggled to make ends meet each and every day.  There were some very dark days that seemed they would never end.
And honestly, I was a happy person then, even in the darkest of struggles. I took it as  just part of life.
I honestly didn't realize how much my life had been effected by those struggles.

However, over the years, as times have become easier, I have found myself making sure there is enough food.  MORE than enough.
Enough to share, enough in case of an emergency and enough if there isn't an emergency. 
I found myself going to the store way more than necessary and buying larger quantities than necessary. 
I mean, who needs two 25 lb. bags of rice in the freezer?

For a while, I told myself that it was so we had extra to give!  And we DO give.  But inside, little by little, gently, the Lord was revealing to my heart that there was hidden fear and lack of trust in HIS provision for my family.

There is nothing wrong with finding things on sale and putting them in the freezer, UNLESS, you are buying those things for security. 

My security should rest squarely on the Lord, and I found myself NOT depending wholly on Him, and at the same time very thankful that He was providing for our needs.

So, I am facing a giant.  I need to remember every day that God is my source and He is the sustainer  of my  life.   The very thing that I know to be true, and teach to my children, I need to live!

So, here is to a cheaper food bill and a neatly organized pantry and refrigerator! :) With much less clutter.   There is more to this area of my life that I am needing to hand back over to the one who is in control of all things..... Oh this is freeing! :)

And the meditation for today is:
Matthew 6: 24-34

24“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.f
Do Not Be Anxious
25“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?g 28And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
34“Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

Oh Lord, help me to remember that you are in control. You provide.  You sustain.  All good things come from you! 


6 comments:

Chris said...

Testing 1,2,3...
Yeah my pantry is full too, but the next time I turn around it's empty again...3 teen aged boys I guess. But I get what you're saying, it's so hard to just rest...trust....

Annie said...

Well...I worry and my pantry is pretty empty. Hand to mouth, pretty much, though if we HAVE it in the house, it will be eaten.

Trusting in God's Providence is something I need to work on.

astudentinkolkata said...

Thank you for this post. It is something I struggle with too, but in a different way. Middle class in India is a pretty comfortable position, but there is always the fear that one is but a hospital bill away from a plunge into difficult times. Things are getting SO expensive and lifestyles are becoming so consumeristic and self-pleasuring that more and more people of my generation are choosing well-paid jobs in the corporate sector. I'm naturally inclined away from the corporate sector, but only recently had the courage to trust in God enough to listen for and follow His direction. Which is away from the corporate sector, lol. But I find that this letting go and trusting has to be renewed and practised daily because it's not something I can take for granted. Knowing that others struggle too gives me strength and examples to follow :)

PS- You eat Basmati!:D

Christie Minich said...

"You eat Basmati!"

Yes... apparently a LOT of it! LOL

MamaV said...

This is something that I have been thinking about, too. My natural tendency is to stockpile against the collapse of civilization... And I don't necessarily think that's wrong in a vacuum, but for me it was DEFINITELY a matter of putting my trust in stuff.
I have also found that even when my fridge is nearly empty, I always have enough to feed a family if I am called upon to do so, so that's not a really great excuse for stockpiling, either. It is very freeing to keep my focus on Jesus and let the stuff worry about itself ;-)

Evelyn Carr said...

I believe that we just do what God tells us to do. There are times when He may tell us to "stockpile"...but even a stockpile can be taken away in a tornado...so...we still have to depend on God for everything. We cannot live in fear and being prepared can be freeing. But you are right...that's not where our security should stem from. Trust God, obey His direction...that's where we need to be.

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin