His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Dissapointment and A Time to Learn.... :)

I FORGOT to tell the girlies, that we were going to spend Saturday at the rent house making new Screens!  Imagine thier delight when they found out that we were headed to another city, on thier school day off, and it was going to be a working day!
Two of them were ok, and two of them were abit, unhappy with the idea....

I apologized to them for not telling them ahead of time, but said, "We'll go to the library on the way!" 
Everybody cooperated, and we actually had a rather wonderful day!  We had fun making all those screens!  When the girlies weren't busy helping, they were playing cards.

We surprised them with Subway... a rare treat! 

All in all, it was a GREAT day! 

This got me to thinking about how to address disappointments in our children's lives, and how to handle them.  They are ALL going to face times of disappointment!  Kids with trauma backgrounds don't handle that so well...BUT... They can LEARN TO!

This a.m., when 2 of our girls were disappointed, I apologized that I had not given them fair warning, and told them I understood how they felt; but at the same time told them, all will be ok! This is something we need to get done for somebody else! We can make the best of it, or the worst of it!  And at that point, I made no apologies! Time to pull up the boot straps and focus! :)
They ALL chose to make the best of it! :)

One of the signs of healing and security, is when you find your child faced with a disappointment or a break in routine, and they handle it well. :)  I was thrilled to see each of the girlies jump on board and be part of the Minich Family Team! :)

And our renters were happy to have brand new screens to enjoy the Fall Weather! :)

1 comment:

Annie said...

I don't do so well with disappointment myself. I have wondered lately if that might be a vestige of MY "hard beginning" (in the hospital nursery for a couple of months when my mom was critically ill). I feel that sort of beginning ought to have impacted me in SOME way!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin