His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Saturday, January 30, 2010

A New Year, A New Beginning

Several years ago, I was a vegetarian. I became a vegetarian, because I was having trouble with possible MS. I say "possible", because the Doctor was 99.9% sure, but to be 100%, he wanted me to have an MRI done, and we couldn't afford it. We had already spent ENOUGH....

My doctor wanted to send me to a Neurologist, and he wanted me to start on a steroid.
I ran the other way to an alternative doctor.
He too thought I had MS, and started me on a special diet. He said it would take 6 months before I felt different.
He was right. It took 2 years to feel fairly normal.

Looking back, I had these unexplained episodes about every 5 years that got worse and worse with time.
Some lingering things always stayed; like dizziness, and vision problems.

The last BIG attack I had was in 2000. So, I have been overdue.
Well, I got all big for my britches and went off my diet for a long time.
I started having issues again, and went Gluten free 3 years ago.

That wasn't enough.
I really needed go back to the other way of eating.

Last week, an unrelated issue popped up..... my blood pressure was out of control. It was SCARY out of control, and I wound up calling our new doctor late that night.
I really like this guy. He actually answers his phone!
He told me to go to bed. He would see me in the a.m.
When I went in, he told me he felt that I really needed to go back on my old diet, but he wanted me to be gluten free and VEGAN!
So, I'm studying up on this.... and I'm finding some really delicious ways to prepare healthy foods for my family.

I have had a great 5 days of Veganism. :)
Did you know you can take black beans, brown rice, portabella mushrooms, garlic and onions, and mash them all together to make a really great burger patty?

I sauteed the mushrooms and onions in olive oil, and then added them to the mashed beans and brown rice. Formed them into patties and cooked them with a little canola oil.
Everybody loved them.
I also found out there is a rice mozzarella cheese substitute, and I used it to make gluten free pizza last night. I topped it with tomato slices, onions, olives and mushrooms. Delicious!

It is a little harder to figure stuff out, but I think we can do it!

My cheat day will be Friday night, so I can have a little coke with my pizza. Other than that, I really think I can do this! :)

4 comments:

:)De said...

Very interesting and you are very creative. Have you already started to feel better?

Peace

P.S. How's school going for the Girlies?

Hevel said...

My sister was a vegan for 14 years, then, all of a sudden, next to her nut allergy first a soy allergy and then an allergy to legumes popped up. So now she is an ovo-lacto vegetarian. She had the greatest recipes for vegan food. Not to mention that vegan tends to be kosher. :-)

Jodie said...

Sister! Do you know that you just amaze me? I so wanted an alternative "burger" for the Super Bowl barbecue (right after church on our outreach pastor's patio). Although, I do not know (without a miracle, that is )if Rod could ever consider life without some sort of meat, ha! ha! but I have been considering that, and life without too much dairy as I unfortunately love cheese!

Mike and Christie said...

There is this rice mozzarella cheese I used for pizza. It was pretty good. Doesn't melt well, like real cheese, but did the trick.
You GOTTA try these Taquitos from Starlite cuisine.
They are vegan and gluten free. Made with corn tortillas and a soy meat type thing. (not real meat) I figured what the heck, I 'll try them.
They were REALLY good and I bet Rod wouldn't know the difference!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin