His Mercy

"His Mercies Are New Every Morning"

A Thought

In this life we can not always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.." :) Mother Teresa

Prayer Quote

“I pray because I can't help myself. I pray because I'm helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn't change God- it changes me.”
― C. S. Lewis

Faith

I believe in the sun even when it's not shining. I believe in love even when I don't feel it. And I believe in God even when He is silent. (quote found on the wall of a concentration camp)

Weather Underground

Click for Wylie, Texas Forecast

NEW WEB SITE

Check Out Our Other Web Site!
Posts are being added Daily......

www.parentingthatheals.org

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

We Are Truly Bankrupt


BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS, THERE IS HOPE!


When Anna was about 7 I took her shopping with me. We got all dressed up and I did her hair really cute. She wanted to bring her purse with her because she was just learning about money and its value. I told her that would be ok and if she wanted to she could purchase some stickers she had been wanting for a long time.

So we headed off for lunch and then a trip to Hobby Lobby. She carefully went over the stickers and picked a few that she really wanted.

We headed up to the cash register and she asked if she could go ahead of me and pay for her sticker by herself. I told her she could, as I had my own things to purchase.

I was watching her, so confident, so proud of herself being all grown up; hair combed, nice dress and all.... and OH so grown up!

The cashier told her, "That will be $3.22."

Anna opened her purse and instead of getting out her money, she pulled out one of those fake credit cards you get in the mail, that daddy had been giving her to play with.
To the cashier's dismay, she handed her that card, totally confident and said, "I'll be putting it on my charge today!", as she flashed me a very proud smile. :)

I was trying everything in my power to contain my laughter as this woman looked at me like "Lady, what do I do with this kid?"

I simply nodded and the woman gave her a receipt and thanked her for her purchase.
I didn't have the heart to tell her it was a fake card at that most proud of moments.

So, guess who paid the $3.22? Yours truly.

I was thinking about that scenario today and contemplating the spiritual walk.

You know, we are TRULY ALL BANKRUPT spiritually. We can dress ourselves on the outside and be confident that we are doing everything right, and it may even look like we are. But we can be painfully and eternally WRONG!

If it were not for a Savior who came to PAY for our sin, our righteousness would be about as useful as that fake credit card. We will always be bankrupt without the life cleansing blood of Christ and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit that is promised to everyone who believes.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

Beautiful!!!

Julia said...

That is true. Funny story.

Tony and Dawn said...

Amen!

Rebecca said...

great post mom! I always loved that story...but I especially like what you added to it.

Renee said...

This is such great wisdom! I began reading because I have a 7 year old Anna... Anywho, your words give me peace at this very moment. I have said and done many things in "great confidence" and with a flashing smile, while my Father looks at me, smiles, and loves me deeply despite my ridiculousness! Oh how I love Him for that. Thank you for your loving honest post, and for reminding me that I am seriously bankrupt when it all comes down to it. I am nothing without Him!

Mike and Christie said...

Thanks for visiting my Blog! You are welcome anytime. :)

Mary Grace Biggs said...

I saw an old blog post and it said 'You also might like these' and it showed me a picture of Anna when she was so little.... OH MY GOSH!!!! THAT'S ANNA!?!?!?!??!?! SHE'S SO (WAS) CUTE!!!! When I think REALLY hard I can SORT OF see Anna all dressed up and holding purse and buying stickers!

You Are Still Holy

LinkWithin